Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What will this do? (squats, lunges, diet) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This might seem like a really stupid thread to post but be gentle.

I'm trying to sort my diet out and also get some exercise in, so for the past few weeks or so I've been eating better (no breakfast - never have it, lunch is an egg and avocado on wholemeal toast and dinner is usually vegetable based - homemade curry with brown rice, roasted veg with couscous, vegetable soup with brown bread etc) but I've also started doing squats... I'm currently doing about 4 sets of 12 reps of squats with a 1kg dumbbell in each hand one day, same sets and reps of lunges the next day and then nothing the 3rd day; repeat.

I'm not overly unhappy with my body so not trying to achieve anything in particular (a bit of weightloss would be nice-but only my middle needs it really and I know you can't spot reduce fat anyway - hence the eating) I'm just wondering what this will actually DO to my body? I do lunges and squats because they're the only things I can really do and with the weights I can tell I'm also doing something to my arms from the burn (and they're more muscular I think). I'm a beginner but my form is pretty good I think - watched loads of videos etc.

For reference I'm pear shaped but my bottom half isn't wobbly - I've always been bulkier on the bottom and a bit weedy on top but I've put on weight slowly in the last few months. Don't know my weight but my measurements:
    hips:38
    waist: 29
    and I'm 5'4

TL;DR - read the first paragraph - what will this do and what else can I do? I walk 20 minutes up a steep hill every day too but don't really want cardio

ReputationRep:
    You should really be eating breakfast. I understand you want to lose weight but cutting meals certainly isn't the way to do it. Eat healthily, watch your calories, and do cardio. Don't try and take shortcuts.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not skipping breakfast to lose weight - I just never feel like eating it, I never have. I've tried to force myself to eat breakfast because it's supposedly healthier but it makes me feel sick and then I don't want lunch. I sometimes have an apple or a banana at about 10.30 but I have lunch at 12 which is pretty much when I'm hungry enough to eat but not ravenous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahhaworth)
    I'm not skipping breakfast to lose weight - I just never feel like eating it, I never have. I've tried to force myself to eat breakfast because it's supposedly healthier but it makes me feel sick and then I don't want lunch. I sometimes have an apple or a banana at about 10.30 but I have lunch at 12 which is pretty much when I'm hungry enough to eat but not ravenous
    You can have your apple + banana + drink at the time you would eat breakfast, and it would still count as breakfast. You'd be hungry before 11

ReputationRep:
    Why would I want to be hungry before 11 if I eat lunch at 12? Surely if I have my first meal (an apple or a banana) at 10.30 and it's my first meal that is 'the time that I'd have breakfast'? so I do have breakfast after all

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Ideally you should be having breakfast as soon as you wake up and have brushed your teeth. So by the logic you've given, you wake up at 10am?

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to exercise, I suggest you take up bodybuilding for a while. I have seen personally that it helps burn fat a lot faster, and if combined with some cardio and aerobic exercises in general, it can be quite effective. Be careful though.

In terms of food, as many people said, try adding a healthy breakfast to your diet, and make sure to not eat the same foods over and over as this will hinder your nutrient intake eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Ideally you should be having breakfast as soon as you wake up and have brushed your teeth. So by the logic you've given, you wake up at 10am?
    I wake up at 7am and there's no way I'm forcing myself to eat as soon as I wake up. I don't see what difference it makes what time I eat an apple?!

ReputationRep:
    I wake up at 7am and there's no way I'm forcing myself to eat as soon as I wake up. I don't see what difference it makes what time I eat an apple?!
    As others have said it's important to do aerobic/cardiovascular exercise as well as eat breakfast, you'll need the energy to be capable of increasing your reps or weights in your anaerobic routine.
    Are you sure you're not running low on energy when you wake up?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Your diet sounds fine from a health point of view. Counting calories isn't a bad idea, use Myfitnesspal or livestrongmyplate

Exercise wise, 1kg dumbbells will do nothing for you. Do some cardio and/or join a gym and lift proper weights

ReputationRep:
    I do have heavier weights, I was just trying to work my way up and mainly practice form first... Heavier weights tonight it is

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Like you I sometimes do miss breakfast since I don't feel like it However I do try to drink a cup of hot water, lemon and honey just to help my whole digestion and immune system (Just a tip if you want to try it, especially since its winter). Now for Squats and Lunges, if you want actual benefits, theres TWO main things that need to happen. Number 1, you MUST use the CORRECT FORM and the second is you should train with weights. You said you do it with 1kg, however as previously stated, that will not make a difference, you need to start lifting more heavier, what i mean is start BUILDING your intensity. Its okay if you have a weight thats extremely challenging, you can do less reps with that kind of weight. One tip I follow with lunges and squats is that I make sure that by the end of the reps, its VERY hard to do the last one. You can also incorporate dead lifts etc. Personally I don't do too much cardio at all since I'm not really looking to loose weight. When I cardio its either walking or treadmill. All the strength training will aid in toning your body, which looks VERY good when done correctly, so pick more weights up, one at a time, make sure your eating healthy and exercising regularly

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. But what changes should I notice?

ReputationRep:
    If we're sticking to just squats and lunges, you're gonna notice a tighter butt and more thigh definition, particularly on the outside. Sounds like you'er working your quads a lot. These muscles are some of the easiest to bulk so if you're eating enough protein (I can't tell from your diet) and carbs you're gonna bulk. With this muscle group you can get rock hard quads in a relatively short time. However I really recommend more compound exercises rather than your isolated conditioning. You sound really motivated which is awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateaustins)
    If we're sticking to just squats and lunges, you're gonna notice a tighter butt and more thigh definition, particularly on the outside. Sounds like you'er working your quads a lot. These muscles are some of the easiest to bulk so if you're eating enough protein (I can't tell from your diet) and carbs you're gonna bulk. With this muscle group you can get rock hard quads in a relatively short time. However I really recommend more compound exercises rather than your isolated conditioning. You sound really motivated which is awesome!
    Thanks, I actually feel motivated to change my attitude towards exercise longer term for the first time ever!

Not eating very much protein, I have a handful of nuts a day but I'm pretty much a vegetarian (and so poor!) so pretty limited... Although I'm not really trying to bulk up or anything - my legs are already muscular because I carry all my fat in my middle, so I'm on a ~500 calorie deficit to try and get rid of it and get my waist back to how it was before I started eating cheese excessively.

Compound exercises scare me! What would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Compound exercises are just anything that's working more than one muscle set. A lot of it is just your normal exercises with a slight position change. A V-crunch in my opinion is a really good compound, as are mountain climbers and donkey kicks with a small weight in each hand (reach forward with the opposite arm to the leg you're lifting, will work you abs for stability, butt for the kick and arm/upper back with the weight).

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    12 squats is a really really low number for a set. With 1kg dumbbells that's effectively just an air squat, and with air squats I'd suggest 100 reps for it to be worth bothering with. 12 x 4 = 48, yeah better than doing nothing of course but I highly doubt it'll make much difference. At least go for 50 squats and 50 lunges.

You also need to incorporate a little bit of cardio in the form of burpees, mountain climbers, squat jumps, etc. Do it Tabata-style and use a timer track on YouTube, 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds rest, repeated 8 times. Burpees are probably the singularly best thing you can do for your body - cardio, strength, power, endurance.

Your diet could do with including more food in it, basically! Eggs, plain Greek yoghurt, Quorn and other veggie substitutes, soya nuts, beans and pulses, protein shakes - all good vegetarian sources.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I actually feel motivated to change my attitude towards exercise longer term for the first time ever!

Not eating very much protein, I have a handful of nuts a day but I'm pretty much a vegetarian (and so poor!) so pretty limited... Although I'm not really trying to bulk up or anything - my legs are already muscular because I carry all my fat in my middle, so I'm on a ~500 calorie deficit to try and get rid of it and get my waist back to how it was before I started eating cheese excessively.

You can make lots of cheap and filling curries with things such as lentils and chickpeas. Are you vegan? If not, an omelette with cheese and mushrooms are a great way to ensure you get enough protein. Having almond milk with porridge or cereal is also a good shout. Quorn mince with kidney beans and tomatoes can make a great vegetarian chille con carne

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    WIthout going to the gym, you can expect to lose some weight if you do enough exercise/ eat little enough

Quorn and quorn rip offs are half decent for protein as are lentils

(Original post by abc101)
    12 squats is a really really low number for a set. With 1kg dumbbells that's effectively just an air squat, and with air squats I'd suggest 100 reps for it to be worth bothering with. 12 x 4 = 48, yeah better than doing nothing of course but I highly doubt it'll make much difference. At least go for 50 squats and 50 lunges.

You also need to incorporate a little bit of cardio in the form of burpees, mountain climbers, squat jumps, etc. Do it Tabata-style and use a timer track on YouTube, 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds rest, repeated 8 times. Burpees are probably the singularly best thing you can do for your body - cardio, strength, power, endurance.

Your diet could do with including more food in it, basically! Eggs, plain Greek yoghurt, Quorn and other veggie substitutes, soya nuts, beans and pulses, protein shakes - all good vegetarian sources.
    50 squats and lunges with a 1kg weight, or any kind of weight where that is possible is utterly useless in reality. Direct ab work will do nothing really, especially unweighted too

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.