Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Biomedicine Transfer to Medicine watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I applied to KCL & QMULand wanted to know if it was possible to tranfer within your first or second year of studying biomed to med?

On a website it said that some unis transfer candidates to medicine if they are in the top n% is this true for KCL & QMUL?

Also, my friend is studying neuroscience, do medical uni's accept this degree when applying as a grad as some unis have criterias of what degrees they can accept?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Elhamm)
    These biomed -> medicine transfers do exist, but shouldn't be seen as a route into medicine because they are hilariously competitive (much much much more competitive than just applying to medicine directly). You likely to have to be in the very top % on your course, in addition to filling all the usual criteria (i.e. UKCAT, volunteering, work experience, etc.) and then if selected enter the interview process, which is just as competitive as normal. You shouldn't really see it as a way into medicine and if you want to study medicine, either apply to medicine. If you can't apply to medicine (i.e. only just decided and the 15 Oct deadline has passed), I'd take a gap year. If you can't apply to medicine because you don't have the grades, this is perhaps your only choice but I wouldn't count on it and instead begin to consider graduate entry medicine (which in itself is very competitive, much more so than normal-entry).

In answer to your questions specifically:

1 - Check the websites of those courses exactly as that's a very specific question. If there's no information, contact the school offices.

2 - Neuroscience is a perfectly acceptable degree, I can't think of anywhere that wouldn't accept it as long as you achieve at least a 2:1. Additional entry criteria are available: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...dicine-a-guide

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.