x Turn on thread page Beta

as above
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by blessed107)
    as above
    Hi blessed107,

I hope some students come back to you on this as well but I work in the recruitment service here at HWU so hopefully I can give you a bit of advice also.

Chemical Engineering is one of our most popular courses and it does receive lots of applications each year. That makes entry a little competitive. We have set the minimum entry requirements at AAAB (Highers) and BBB (A-Levels). If an applicant is receiving this, the admissions tutor will look at their application. That's not to say that everyone over these levels will definitely get an offer but it is a good indicator of where our entry level is. Without knowing your exact circumstances I can't give you any more specific advice, if you want to PM me more details and ask more questions feel free to do so.

With regard are we a good uni, our rankings speak for themselves. From the NSS our Chem Eng course is top in Scotland. Always take rankings with a pinch of salt though, always better to have a look for yourself!

Apologies for the lengthy reply and as i said hopefully some students can give their perspective on it but I hope this has helped a little.

Feel free to ask any other questions about the uni.

Cheers,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    HI blessed107,

I am having a bit of trouble replying to your pm. Can you follow us so we can reply to you or you can email me on [email protected].

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blessed107)
    as above
    Hey, I'm applying for this as well. Have you heard back from any of your choices yet?

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for chem eng at Sheffield, Newcastle, Leeds and Herriot watt. All have got back from me apart from Herriot watt

ReputationRep:
    Yeah think it's good though I personally don't go there.

I dunno what the policy is these days, but I would advise getting on an MEng (basically BEng and Msc combined in one course) course for Chemical engineering (4 years with masters). Or going to a uni which will allow you to move up to a MEng if you meet a certain grade in first/second year. A lot of jobs presently want and only take MEng and it's easier to get chartered. If you do a Beng that's fine I guess, but you might need to do a Msc again at another uni (and Msc choices for chemical engineering are limited).

Of course if you don't want to go into engineering then a Beng is fine. And if you want to go into research a Beng and msc might be preferable. But the Beng vs Meng something is definitely something to consider. I'd even say it might even be preferable to go to the uni that has same grade requirements that you can meet for the MEng than the one offering the same grade requirements that you can meet for the BEng (unless there is the option to move up if you do well, which is something you should definitely enquire when applying in this case). Though these days a lot of unis have started giving the same standard offer for both courses now as the MEng requirement is becoming the norm.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.