Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many languages can you speak fluently, and what is your mother tongue? watch

ReputationRep:
    I personally speak 3 languages fluently, of which English is my native.

The other two are French and Spanish.

I speak them relatively frequently, but since I'm in England most of the year, there's literally no on to converse with

I'm in the process of teaching myself Dutch... I'm still a bit of a noob lol, but I've been able to keep conversations up.

What languages do you speak?

ReputationRep:
    2 - arabic and english

arabic is native btw

used to be able to speak 3 fluently (dutch - born and raised in the netherlands until i was 10) but forgot all of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    2 - arabic and english

arabic is native btw

used to be able to speak 3 fluently (dutch - born and raised in the netherlands until i was 10) but forgot all of it
    Really?

Dat is niet zo goed vriend lol

I love the Netherlands. I was there this summer and I really liked it!

ReputationRep:
    1 - english

native is english lol

I plan on learning a language in the near future though, probably French or some other european language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blue Axolotl)
    Really?

Dat is niet zo goed vriend lol

I love the Netherlands. I was there this summer and I really liked it!
    yupp! well i got what you said haha but that's cos it's close to english lol

yeah i liked it, it was cool - i was born in Groningen but i grew up in Zoetermeer

really didn't get the Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet thing though... it's racist isn't it?

also i got an A in gcse spanish and thought i was quite good at it but i didnt take it to a level because im stupid but someday i think i'll go back to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

yeah i liked it, it was cool - i was born in Groningen but i grew up in Zoetermeer

really didn't get the Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet thing though... it's racist isn't it?

also i got an A in gcse spanish and thought i was quite good at it but i didnt take it to a level because im stupid but someday i think i'll go back to it
    I didn't go as far north as Groningen :P

I stuck to the Hoek, Zuid and Noord Holland!

I don't like Zwarte Piet... it does look racist, like black face!! :O

I got A* in both Spanish and French at GCSE and then two As

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternaforest)
    1 - english

native is english lol

I plan on learning a language in the near future though, probably French or some other european language
    Definitely go French first and then Italian and Spanish can be learnt so easily

ReputationRep:
    Fluent in Hungarian and English, Hungarian is my native language

ReputationRep:
    Fluent Azeri, Turkish and English, Azeri is my mother tongue. Hoping to become fluent in Spanish and British Sign Language eventually

ReputationRep:
    Five, excluding English, so French, Arabic, Creole/patois and Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    I speak all languages.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go French first and then Italian and Spanish can be learnt so easily
    My brother's learning French as well so I can practice with him as well it will be a lot easier

I eventually want to learn something like Finnish or Turkish

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go as far north as Groningen :P

I stuck to the Hoek, Zuid and Noord Holland!

I don't like Zwarte Piet... it does look racist, like black face!! :O

I got A* in both Spanish and French at GCSE and then two As
    (Original post by z33)

Sinterklaas is actually the funniest, I honestly don't understand why people make such a big deal out of it, my black ass never got bullied over it

OP this thread already exists tho http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3459037

ReputationRep:
    Gujarati is the mother tongue and I can speak English, Gujarati, Hindi, Punjabi, Sanskrit fluently.

Deciding on which language I should next attack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Sinterklaas is actually the funniest, I honestly don't understand why people make such a big deal out of it, my black ass never got bullied over it

OP this thread already exists tho http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3459037
    I put out my wooden shoes by the door and left sinterklaas a letter... he left one back which said if i make it to the mail box while eating biscuits and not dropping a single crumb i'll get a baby doll... guess who didnt get the doll -_-

Thanks dad...

ReputationRep:
    Polish and English, my mother tongue is Polish.

ReputationRep:
    Arabic & English

Doing Alevel french, semi fluent
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I can speak vietnamese (though mother tongue, my level is that of a 10 years old native) and i can speak english fluently since i've lived here all my life. im currently learning french and hoping to be fluent in it soon !

ReputationRep:
    I speak 2, English which I class as my first even though Shona (little spoken language from the south of Africa) is my mother tongue because my Shona can be a little dodgy sometimes
    I do study French at college and I do quite well and I tried teaching myself Russian but I got a little scared off by declension but I am still a bit motivated

ReputationRep:
    2: English as my 2nd language (14+ years of speaking it) and Lithuanian (my mother tongue) Hopefully in very far future I will be able to speak Russian fluently too, now just tiny bit :sad:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.