Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if someone can answer

What covers more content? Computer science at A level or BTEC level 3 extended diploma in software development?

Which covers more topics?
    Which covers more theoretical work?
    Which has more programming?
    Which is better for a computer science degree?

IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD BE THANKFUL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends per course really.

ReputationRep:
    Overall I'd say the BTEC definitely covers more topics and has much more programming involved than the A level. A level computer science does have more theoretical work but to be honest if you wanted to learn the theory side of things you could do the BTEC whilst reading through the textbook and essentially teaching yourself the A level content on the side.

The BTEC level 3 extended diploma would be better for a CS degree compared to a single A level (assuming you got distinctions in the BTEC consistently) however if you wanted to strengthen your application further i'd recommend doing the BTEC and an A level in maths, as it would definitely be possible to get into a RG uni for computer science with the BTEC extended diploma and high grade in A level maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmarRPM)
    Overall I'd say the BTEC definitely covers more topics and has much more programming involved than the A level. A level computer science does have more theoretical work but to be honest if you wanted to learn the theory side of things you could do the BTEC whilst reading through the textbook and essentially teaching yourself the A level content on the side.

The BTEC level 3 extended diploma would be better for a CS degree compared to a single A level (assuming you got distinctions in the BTEC consistently) however if you wanted to strengthen your application further i'd recommend doing the BTEC and an A level in maths, as it would definitely be possible to get into a RG uni for computer science with the BTEC extended diploma and high grade in A level maths.

Thanks a lot, currently im doing AS in Maths, Physics and possibly Biology or Computing

I may be dropping computing due to it being at a different school but i was wondering is it worth getting an AS in computing? And next year i will hopefully be doing a extended diploma and A2 physics

Also how hard is the theoretical side in computing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 822)
    Thanks a lot, currently im doing AS in Maths, Physics and possibly Biology or Computing

I may be dropping computing due to it being at a different school but i was wondering is it worth getting an AS in computing? And next year i will hopefully be doing a extended diploma and A2 physics

Also how hard is the theoretical side in computing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi I'm also currently retaking my AS year at a college where i'm studying AS maths, electronics and the new computing spec (AQA AS Computer Science) as well as a Level 3 national diploma in BTEC IT. If you're very interested in computing and do a lot of research and reading in your spare time, quite frankly the theoretical side should be a breeze.

I'd suggest doing A2 maths over physics though as most RG unis see maths as a more respected and recommended subject than physics when applying to do CS. If you did maths + the extended diploma in BTEC IT you'd be in a very good position to apply to prestigious RG unis such as KCL

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm also currently retaking my AS year at a college where i'm studying AS maths, electronics and the new computing spec (AQA AS Computer Science) as well as a Level 3 national diploma in BTEC IT. If you're very interested in computing and do a lot of research and reading in your spare time, quite frankly the theoretical side should be a breeze.

I'd suggest doing A2 maths over physics though as most RG unis see maths as a more respected and recommended subject than physics when applying to do CS. If you did maths + the extended diploma in BTEC IT you'd be in a very good position to apply to prestigious RG unis such as KCL

Yeah i was thinking about doing an A2 in maths but i think a physics A2 would be easier. Anyways thanks for all the help, i appreciate it.

So are you thinking about doing a CS degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 822)
    Yeah i was thinking about doing an A2 in maths but i think a physics A2 would be easier. Anyways thanks for all the help, i appreciate it.

So are you thinking about doing a CS degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes i'm definitely on track to study CS, i've always found it very interesting and the subjects I currently study are optimised for the CS course. I believe you should definitely consider studying maths instead of physics, but it's up to you; just keep in mind that a lot of unis do ask for A level maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i'm definitely on track to study CS, i've always found it very interesting and the subjects I currently study are optimised for the CS course. I believe you should definitely consider studying maths instead of physics, but it's up to you; just keep in mind that a lot of unis do ask for A level maths.
    I could do both. i will have to see at the end of this AS year and the college.

I am also thinking about going to do a Computer science course or Physics something like Computer forensics and security or something security related (Still haven't decided yet).

Which BTEC IT do you do because i understand theres a few different types of IT like software development, networking and etc

Also does the BTEC have an element of theoretical side in there or none?

Finally which is easier do you think? BTEC or A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 822)
    I could do both. i will have to see at the end of this AS year and the college.

I am also thinking about going to do a Computer science course or Physics something like Computer forensics and security or something security related (Still haven't decided yet).

Which BTEC IT do you do because i understand theres a few different types of IT like software development, networking and etc

Also does the BTEC have an element of theoretical side in there or none?

Finally which is easier do you think? BTEC or A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I currently do 3 A levels and the BTEC IT national diploma, which is meant to be the equivalent of 2 A levels (12 BTEC IT units). However next year I may drop 1 A level and do the BTEC IT extended diploma, which is the equivalent of 3 A levels (18 BTEC IT units).

The BTEC IT course units I'm currently doing are database design, communication and employability skills for IT and developing computer games. I'll be doing other units this year but I'm not sure what they will be as of now.

BTEC IT does have quite a lot of theory based work, you basically get set assignments which include having to submit various reports and written work. I'm learning far more from BTEC IT than A level computing, as it's far more practical and generally diverse.

Overall I find that BTEC is easier due to not having to worry about any exam pressure, but I wouldn't recommend doing it without any A levels, as a lot of universities like to see that you are capable of taking exams under pressure, and BTECs don't really demonstrate that.

Once again hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    I currently do 3 A levels and the BTEC IT national diploma, which is meant to be the equivalent of 2 A levels (12 BTEC IT units). However next year I may drop 1 A level and do the BTEC IT extended diploma, which is the equivalent of 3 A levels (18 BTEC IT units).

The BTEC IT course units I'm currently doing are database design, communication and employability skills for IT and developing computer games. I'll be doing other units this year but I'm not sure what they will be as of now.

BTEC IT does have quite a lot of theory based work, you basically get set assignments which include having to submit various reports and written work. I'm learning far more from BTEC IT than A level computing, as it's far more practical and generally diverse.

Overall I find that BTEC is easier due to not having to worry about any exam pressure, but I wouldn't recommend doing it without any A levels, as a lot of universities like to see that you are capable of taking exams under pressure, and BTECs don't really demonstrate that.

Once again hope I helped

I cant thank you enough!! Its exactly what i needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.