The Student Room Group

HELP! What should I do about this work placement?

Hi! I studied Media at college, then went on to photography/graphic design at University. I've always been interested in journalism. I wrote for the college magazine, and my own blog style website.

A few months back, I wrote to a local newspaper (not a big company - just like a little independent run thing with about 8 staff). They offered me a work placement, I started it yesterday.

It's not how I expected it to be. I've never really done anything journalism at all, and they've thrown me in at the deep end.

They told me to go off yesterday - on my first day, and interview a coffee shop owner, and get some photos. The thing is, they do not communicate with me, nor each other.

The Editor emailed me with my next task... he was sat next to me. They've not showed me anything. It's just been "hello... do this... do that... go out and interview someone".

I've never interviewed someone before. I don't know what they're looking for in the articles.

I went along today thinking it might be better. The day is supposed to end at 5pm. I really needed help on one of the tasks. One Editor said to me "I can't help with that. Wait for X to get back". He went at 4pm, left me there. All the other reporters went. I was alone in the office waiting for the other Editor to return... he didn't.

I just thought work experience is where they show you what they do, then you experience it. The Editor went off to interview someone. That's why he wasn't there when I needed help. Surely work experience would be me going out with the Editor... seeing what he does, then maybe nearer the end of the week, giving it a go myself once I have learnt the basics?

I just really don't like it. It seems so awkward to ask for help or advice and it feels like I'm pestering them. They just don't seem easy to approach.

What would you do? I could always do work experience elsewhere. Shall I just not go? I really don't like it

*Just to say, i'm not someone who quits things easy. This just feels utterly pointless.Thanks
Reply 1
you should ask them if they act negatively leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending