Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not sure where to post, recent grad desperate for help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I graduated a few months ago with a 2:1 in History from a Russell group uni but haven't been able to find anything in the way of work.
    To be honest I'm not sure about what I want to go into, but I've applied for so much now. PR, sales, marketing, operations, consulting, even looked into law. Although my degree and extra curricular stuff is good, my work experience isn't, so I've been applying to internships but haven't been able to secure anything at all.

It's starting to effect me mentally now which is slightly worrying. I'm just looking for some practical advice from anyone who has been through similar situations and come through the over side!

Thanks very much in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andre2012)
    So I graduated a few months ago with a 2:1 in History from a Russell group uni but haven't been able to find anything in the way of work.
    To be honest I'm not sure about what I want to go into, but I've applied for so much now. PR, sales, marketing, operations, consulting, even looked into law. Although my degree and extra curricular stuff is good, my work experience isn't, so I've been applying to internships but haven't been able to secure anything at all.

It's starting to effect me mentally now which is slightly worrying. I'm just looking for some practical advice from anyone who has been through similar situations and come through the over side!

How far in the application process are you getting?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry should have mentioned that! So far I've had one interview for an internship but didn't get offered the role.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like your scattergun approach is holding you back. Spend time working out what you want to do and focus on how you can demonstrate your motivation for that specific area.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to spot someone who has no connection or motivation to a career path, and if you have no evidence of pursuing it, and are unable to clearly explain why you think it is for you, you won't be able to compete with applicants who can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I graduated a few months ago with a 2:1 in History
    This is your problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

As others have said you really need to narrow things down. If you can show someone your CV's and Cover letters and ask for suggestions on improvement then that would help- your old uni careers department should be able to assist you. Did you get any specific feedback on your previous interview performance? And I would thoroughly recommend volunteering- gives you some work experience & saves you having an awkward gap on your CV.

ReputationRep:

Just stick at it. It often takes 3-6 months and several interviews for people to find their first graduate position.

Also: have you signed up with any recruitment agencies? Mine used to ring me up every day with potential interviews.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like one of my main problems is I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, so I've been applying to unpaid internships to get some experience but I haven't managed to secure one because I 'haven't got enough experience!'
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    I feel like one of my main problems is I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, so I've been applying to unpaid internships to get some experience but I haven't managed to secure one because I 'haven't got enough experience!'
    Hi,

Echoing some responses from above, but I think the key thing here is persistence - the more applications you do, the more you'll learn from them and the better you'll get.

Ideally, if you have identified that an issue with your applications is a lack of experience, then have you considered volunteering? This can be a great way to start building experience whilst on the job hunt.

Once you've figured out exactly what you want to do (we have some great 'day in the life of' testimonials on Milkround that could be helpful to you) then you can start focusing on building experience in areas that are relevant to your future career path. In the meantime, you can even make your hobbies productive - how about completing an online learning course, joining a sports team, or starting a blog?

Chantelle & The Milkround team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help, the day in the life testimonials are really helpful!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Thanks for all the help, the day in the life testimonials are really helpful!
    Glad they're of use - feel free to PM us if you have any specific questions we can help you with!

ReputationRep:
    How much work experience have you got?

ReputationRep:

Hey!

Don't worry, we have all been there when we graduate, it's very tough out there and I totally empathize with it getting you down. Personally I found perseverance was key and also adding in the personal touch that makes you stand out.

When I graduated I was trying to get an editorial internship in publishing which is an insanely small and competitive market so I wrote handwritten letters to people at publishing houses and always found out their names. In the end I got offered 4 internships from doing that and had to turn some down! Don't get me wrong it was a tough process but I'm just saying there is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get there

ReputationRep:
    My work experience is not great, its one of the things that I think has held me back. I had a job in a supermarket when I was 16-17 but that's it...That's why I've been looking for unpaid internships to get some relevant work experience but haven't managed to get anything

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.