Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Im finding chemistry AS really challenging in general, especially 'shapes of molecules and ions' and how to determine the no. of lone pairs. I was hoping someone might be able to give me some good tips please.
    Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do AS level I did Scottish highers, but the way I do it is by looking at the group the element is in because the group number corresponds to the number of electrons in the element's outer shell.
    The element will only have lone pairs if it is in group 5 or above because there can be up to 8 electrons in the outer shell, so when there are 4 or less electrons in the outer shell they don't have to pair up but when there are 5 or more they do have to pair up.
    So for elements in group 5 or above the number of lone pairs can be worked out by taking away 4 from the group number.
    e.g. oxygen is in group 6, so 6-4=2, and oxygen has 2 lone pairs

I hope that helped a bit! I hope it makes some sense haha

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's clever.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by memeyazoo)
    Hey
    Im finding chemistry AS really challenging in general, especially 'shapes of molecules and ions' and how to determine the no. of lone pairs. I was hoping someone might be able to give me some good tips please.
    Much appreciated
    Here is an interactive test that may help you with simple shapes of molecules

Here is another resource on shapes of molecules and ions

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.