Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is something about Royal Holloway that feels really nice and comfortable for me but I just can't get a feel for what the course is like! Could a current student possibly let me know?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Wella Rammakin)
    There is something about Royal Holloway that feels really nice and comfortable for me but I just can't get a feel for what the course is like! Could a current student possibly let me know?
    Hey Wella,

As a recent graduate from our BA Drama and Theatre Studies course, I should be in a good position to offer you some insight into this.

Generally, students follow set modules in the first year which enables everyone to get a good foundation knowledge of which to build upon in the rest of their degree.

There is scope to choose from a large range of modules in your second and third year, meaning you can tailor your degree to meet your interests and career plans.

In my own experience, I really enjoyed the variety of ways in which the department both taught and assessed us. Generally, lecturers are only offered in first year. In second and third years, students are taught through workshops and seminars, allowing an interactive learning experience, which in turn creates a balance between theory and practice. In terms of assessment, this is usually in the form of an essay, presentation or practical performed work, with exams usually only taking place in the first year.

I found the Drama Department to be extremely encouraging of its students to pursue their interests and goals, both academically within the department as well as aiding access to opportunities to get some experience in the industry.

The department has its own drama society called The Student Workshop, who each year run a number of productions which are entirely student led. As such, students tend to mix between year groups and there is a comfortable, close-knit community feel.

I hope that has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any other questions

Camilla

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.