Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Voluntarily degrading first year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am about 8 weeks in and not finding the experience bad at all. However my mind is not settled for Uni and I feel my health is being affected due to depression/stress. I wanted to know I'm off campus can I take a gap year and start on the same course and campus next year September 2016. Another reason also is I believe I would be a lot mature next year and a lot more understanding whereas now I find myself exhumed, not motivated, and having failed two modules already 8 weeks in. 1 weighted 50% and the other 60%. I feel if I don't have the performance to run the whole first year there's no point in flogging on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same predicament tbh, don't really think i'm cut out

ReputationRep:
    taking a gap year was the best decision I have ever made! Just make sure you do something worthwhile it it. ie Dont spend it working at Primark, theres not much you can gain from that. If you can travel, do that! It sounds expensive but its not! You dont loads like you do on a holiday. On my year in France I volunteered for a year and only came out £1000 poorer by the end. You can even earn money abroad as an Au-Pair or teaching English. If you dont have the guts to live abroad or would rather be at home, do something useful. Learn a new skill, write a book, if you are earning then rent out your own place and live independently of parents. I am so much more confident after taking time out of full time education, take more responsibility for my studies and have my priorities sorted better and have a healthier attitude towards education.
    You will develop so much in a year, especially if you have new experiences!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmuur)
    taking a gap year was the best decision I have ever made! Just make sure you do something worthwhile it it. ie Dont spend it working at Primark, theres not much you can gain from that. If you can travel, do that! It sounds expensive but its not! You dont loads like you do on a holiday. On my year in France I volunteered for a year and only came out £1000 poorer by the end. You can even earn money abroad as an Au-Pair or teaching English. If you dont have the guts to live abroad or would rather be at home, do something useful. Learn a new skill, write a book, if you are earning then rent out your own place and live independently of parents. I am so much more confident after taking time out of full time education, take more responsibility for my studies and have my priorities sorted better and have a healthier attitude towards education.
    You will develop so much in a year, especially if you have new experiences!
    I cannot agree more! A gap year is not really a bad idea. Go somewhere you can make a difference. Maybe volunteer? Look for organizations that might be able to help you help others

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.