JD1lla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm looking to get my brother something (relatively) special this Christmas, usually we literally just trade eachother £50 into eachothers bank accounts and buy our own presents haha (pointless, but we do it for the sake of having something to wrap up under the tree)

My brother's started F1 as a doctor, and has worked relentlessly and he's feeling pretty down atm, he has worked so hard at a top university to become a doctor, and he's really hating it. So I want to give him something special which will make him feel better...alcohol.

He's a fan of single malt whisky, and I don't know anything about it. Can anybody recommend a good single malt for around £50 (willing to pay a bit more for something really special) that isn't too strong on the palette? Maybe something more aromatic/fruity as opposed to something with heavy tobacco notes, I don't know something nice for somebody who is new to whisky.

I know it's only November, but I'm sorting this out early purely for budgetary reasons.

Any help appreciated, cheers.
jamesthehustler
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
get a bottle of 18 year old glenfiddich
it around £65 or if you have to be strict to the budget then go for the glenfiddich 15 year old as that's around £45 a bottle

the 18 is baked apple and cinnamon notes
the 15 is vanilla and honey toned

the 12 year old tastes pretty awful
these price are based on what i spend on amazon
dunaird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a lover of whisky I would suggest that a bottle around £50 would not really be truly appreciated for flavour.
Why not give him 2 bottles of completely different whiskys which may open his taste buds for the future.
Cragganmore from Speyside and Bunnahabhain (pronounced boonahaven) from Islay which is peaty but not too much!
If he doesn't like them I would be delighted to visit him and empty the bottles !!!!
dunaird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jamesthehustler)
get a bottle of 18 year old glenfiddich
it around £65 or if you have to be strict to the budget then go for the glenfiddich 15 year old as that's around £45 a bottle

the 18 is baked apple and cinnamon notes
the 15 is vanilla and honey toned

the 12 year old tastes pretty awful
these price are based on what i spend on amazon
SORRY James but glenfiddich is mainly an export whisky - there's not so much drank north of the border so wouldn't recommend as an introduction nip.. there's a wide choice of better!!!
Dunaird
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (126)
42.71%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (118)
40%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (6)
2.03%

Watched Threads