Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you snoop on your bf's/gf's phone? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you secretly check through your bf or gf's phone?
    Yes, nothing wrong with a bit of snooping
    31.41%
    No, privacy is important
    68.59%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Here's an interesting stat - apparently one in four of all those in a relationship have secretly checked their partner's phone.

As you might expect, this seems to be a trust thing; the reasons for snooping range from checking up on text messages to checking photos and Facebook posts.

Full study here.

So how about you? Would you ever sneak a peek at your bf's/gf's mobile when they're not looking?

ReputationRep:
    No never. Why would I want to? I trust here and wouldn't want to break her trust in me by snooping on her.

ReputationRep:
    I already know what's going on so I don't need any further evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to lie, I have done it in the past when I was younger, even though I had no reason to. I'm not proud of it as it showed how paranoid and mistrusting I was. I haven't done it for years and haven't felt the need to. I was very paranoid and had trust issues when I was younger which I shouldn't have took out on my partner as he has always been true to me and always had my back.

ReputationRep:
    Unless I had an extremely good reason to like they were being shifty or I'd seen something/heard off numerous people I wouldn't. But at the same time it's always you might not like what you find haha
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    No. I wouldn't be happy with him doing it to me; so I won't do it to him. He won't find anything that interesting anyway.

ReputationRep:
    No, if you feel the need to do that then something's obviously not right

ReputationRep:
    Did in the past when I was young and insecure. Always in bad relationships, unsurprisingly.

Never have in my current relationship. We have absolute trust, and I have zero need or desire to snoop through her phone or computer.

ReputationRep:
    No; it's too easy to take things out of context.

ReputationRep:
    depends

ReputationRep:
    I voted 'yes', since I can't help but think I'd be too curious not to! That said, my boyfriend and I share phones and our computers etc. (he'll ask me to read a message out to him and vice versa, for instance), so I really have no reason to go through his things.

ReputationRep:
    No, imo trust is the foundation of a relationship. If I have to check her phone, then I wouldn't be in a relationship with her. Plus I'd feel weird lol

ReputationRep:
    Nah,I wouldn't. I wouldn't be with a person I didn't trust in the first place.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Spoiler:
    Show

I wouldn't and I'd expect the same back.

ReputationRep:
    Well you see, when you kidnap somebody, you kind of have complete control over them. So yeah, I've used their phone, called their parents, ordered a pizza.
    Then get a big tub of popcorn and chow down!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I wouldn't do it, it shows a lack of trust if people in a relationship do it.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Considering I'm probably the only person that texts him and it's really on his mum who calls I'm good. All his friends make plans via FB lol.

ReputationRep:
    No, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if they checked mine, I understand some people have trust issues and need that certainty, I don't take that personally to be honest. If you love someone you should accept that not everyone has that security, and well sharing is an important part of a relationship and I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone I couldn't share absolutely everything with anyway

When it comes to phones my only deal breaker is answering calls or responding to texts in my presence (or leaving the room to answer it). If you want to text someone do it on your own time, not when i've taken time out of my day to see you in person. The only exception is if you include me, e.g your texting a friend and ask for my advice or something.

ReputationRep:
    Only if I had actual grounds for suspicion of some wrongdoing, but as previously stated.. why be in a relationship with someone that you don't trust?

ReputationRep:
    I would never snoop on my boyfriends phone and he wouldn’t do it either… we trust each other and so we don’t have any security codes. Besides, we use each others phone fortexting or to make calls with common friends. If using the phone of my boyfriend becomes a problem one day, I know immediately that something is wrong

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.