Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

As opposed to 'marketing' itself, 'fashion marketing' sounds more focused and streamlined, but i'd like to know if this degree is "legitimate". Would this mean less career options in the future? in my country, there isn't much of a fashion-industry going on thus this course is close to being unheard of. And is a marketing degree itself even worth it at all? (I've read somewhere that it isn't as valued becos it's an "easy" degree, how true is that? not sure if this info is reliable or not, my bad!)

Are there any alternatives// Should i opt for, say, a business management degree instead? however, im very interested in this business-in-fashion-industry concept, or even in cosmetics as well.

would love some advice, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Please do not take this mickey mouse course... just do a normal marketing degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If fashion marketing is something you think you might like to get into, then certainly take the course.
    Whether other people think it's a 'mickey miuse' course or not is pretty irrelevant.

If you want a job in marketing, any marketing related degree will put you in good light.

You could say a 'general' marketing degree may leave you with more options, but if you think you'll enjoy fashion marketing, then do that!

In the long run, if an employer likes you ( as a person) then they'll probably give you a shot regardless of your marketing degree being fashion related or not! It's all knowledge and experience.

Good luck which whatever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I recently went to the UCAS design your future which is aimed for creative courses like fashion design , fashion marketing and fine art etc and i spoke to some of the universities that i am interested in and they basically explained to me that yes you will do fashion but it is combined with business and marketing and some courses even do a module of psychology for the behaviour of consumers, so if you want to apply for it i'd say go for it , i have heard stories that people really enjoy their fashion marketing course and i have heard stories that people didn't like it as much and just changed to marketing instead but if you feel like it maybe the course is for you and have a passion for both fashion and business then maybe fashion marketing is for you or if you feel you maybe focused more on the business,marketing side maybe marketing if for you.

also one uni said that what you learn in fashion marketing is basic knowledge and that it can be used not just for fashion but you can go down other pathways once you graduate , you don't have to go down a fashion pathway , many students who have done fashion marketing have gone down visual merchandising , PR, events management and more .

maybe call up the uni or go to an open day so you can speak to a course tutor about your concerns.

I hope this helps

(Original post by arixe)
    Hi all!

As opposed to 'marketing' itself, 'fashion marketing' sounds more focused and streamlined, but i'd like to know if this degree is "legitimate". Would this mean less career options in the future? in my country, there isn't much of a fashion-industry going on thus this course is close to being unheard of. And is a marketing degree itself even worth it at all? (I've read somewhere that it isn't as valued becos it's an "easy" degree, how true is that? not sure if this info is reliable or not, my bad!)

Are there any alternatives// Should i opt for, say, a business management degree instead? however, im very interested in this business-in-fashion-industry concept, or even in cosmetics as well.

would love some advice, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki1805)
    If fashion marketing is something you think you might like to get into, then certainly take the course.
    Whether other people think it's a 'mickey miuse' course or not is pretty irrelevant.

If you want a job in marketing, any marketing related degree will put you in good light.

You could say a 'general' marketing degree may leave you with more options, but if you think you'll enjoy fashion marketing, then do that!

In the long run, if an employer likes you ( as a person) then they'll probably give you a shot regardless of your marketing degree being fashion related or not! It's all knowledge and experience.

Good luck which whatever you choose!
    True but those who can spell mouse may have opinions that are relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would honestly do a standard CIM (or equiv) accredited marketing degree or qualification then just get loads of work experience in fashion PR/marketing/comms or an editorial position.
    So many opportunities out there.
    This opens up your prospects and allows you to manoeuvre.
    However if you're dead set on working in fashion forever then I would consider doing the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thank you all for your time, i really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Fashion marketing degree is 100% worth it. Don't listen to people who say it's a Mickey Mouse course because you will learn the essential knowledge for working in the fashion industry, If this is where you want to end up. Yes a degree in just marketing gives you the option to go into various industries however, if it's fashion you're interested in a degree in fashion is pretty much the best way in as businesses will prefer people with a fashion background over anything else. People who think it's a Mickey Mouse course clearly don't understand the understanding and knowledge and experience that is required to work in this field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.