The Student Room Group

Moving out of home in London for university?

My UCAS is practically ready for submission and one of my choices is KCL. I currently live in EC (East Central) London and I don't like it so much, its too noisy, I've never settled where I am and I'm definitely set on the idea of moving out. Its pretty much contingent that I move out next year. If I go to KCL theres the likelihood I won't be offered accommodation (Which is fair as I do live here already), its about a 30 minute commute from my home to the University but living here makes me thoroughly miserable and depressed. My mum and sister are settled however so its not like they'll up sticks. For this reason I've been considering moving out but I'm no fool and I know that property in London is so expensive, I did some general browsing last night and did some calculations and have found there are areas with good prices.

One area has really nice homes, is quiet, nothing like a city and is close to overground stations which can take me into central London within half an hour. In terms of finance how realistic is this though? I have a part-time job now but thats essentially 'pocket money' and even if I saved all my earnings it would likely not last me very long. Is there any additional (and legitimate!) support that I can get? Moving out for Uni is pretty compulsory as far as I'm concerned and if I 'have' to stay here I will pick one of my other options and move out. I'm not scared to leave London as I'm not even from here but I would like to stay as there is a lot to do. I contacted KCL and they offered housing in Stratford but thats too close to me and defeats the entire purpose. I want to move somewhere away from central, but will money limit me? Has anyone else done this before??? Moved out of home but stayed in the city and if so, how did you finance it? I plan on staying in my current job at university and with my grants and so forth the money I earn will be significant and helpful. Thank you.

Just so you get the idea, my dislike of this place is so bad I hate coming home, its so noisy and crammed and pretty crappy. Ideally I wouldn't want loans but I know I might have to do just that.
Reply 1
Original post by TitanCream
My UCAS is practically ready for submission and one of my choices is KCL. I currently live in EC (East Central) London and I don't like it so much, its too noisy, I've never settled where I am and I'm definitely set on the idea of moving out. Its pretty much contingent that I move out next year. If I go to KCL theres the likelihood I won't be offered accommodation (Which is fair as I do live here already), its about a 30 minute commute from my home to the University but living here makes me thoroughly miserable and depressed. My mum and sister are settled however so its not like they'll up sticks. For this reason I've been considering moving out but I'm no fool and I know that property in London is so expensive, I did some general browsing last night and did some calculations and have found there are areas with good prices.

One area has really nice homes, is quiet, nothing like a city and is close to overground stations which can take me into central London within half an hour. In terms of finance how realistic is this though? I have a part-time job now but thats essentially 'pocket money' and even if I saved all my earnings it would likely not last me very long. Is there any additional (and legitimate!) support that I can get? Moving out for Uni is pretty compulsory as far as I'm concerned and if I 'have' to stay here I will pick one of my other options and move out. I'm not scared to leave London as I'm not even from here but I would like to stay as there is a lot to do. I contacted KCL and they offered housing in Stratford but thats too close to me and defeats the entire purpose. I want to move somewhere away from central, but will money limit me? Has anyone else done this before??? Moved out of home but stayed in the city and if so, how did you finance it? I plan on staying in my current job at university and with my grants and so forth the money I earn will be significant and helpful. Thank you.

Just so you get the idea, my dislike of this place is so bad I hate coming home, its so noisy and crammed and pretty crappy. Ideally I wouldn't want loans but I know I might have to do just that.

You would save money if you lived at home, why not try 1st year living out for the experience and to see if it is sustainable. If all else fails move back home ( you'll save more money overall this way).

Tbh unless you have wealthy parents then you need the student finance loan to move out, especially in London. Think of the loan as a tax though- you pay it back progressively out of your earnings. I have friends who went to uni in London who moved out- one had well off parents, three used a combination of student finance and part time work to pay. They all lived in halls and or shared housing, so still quite noisy/crammed.

Finally someone like me. I think London is so overrated. Ive applied to City but dont really want to go there
Reply 4
Original post by AllanSmith22
Finally someone like me. I think London is so overrated. Ive applied to City but dont really want to go there

Thats fair enough. I respect why many love london, it is a global city. Being a village person myself, I didn't like London but it is *the* place to be.
Thats fair enough. I respect why many love london, it is a global city. Being a village person myself, I didn't like London but it is *the* place to be.

I think for opportunity it is one of the best places but i still feel like the city is overrated, way too expensive and not the greatest place.

Quick Reply