Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The word anarchist has been used in the news a fair bit recently to describe the events such as that attack on that cereal shop by those anti-gentrification protesters (class war?) or people spitting at Tories/press outside the Manchester Conservative conference.

But what does anarchism actually mean? :beard:

I just spotted this article from The Conversation which I think sums it up quickly and gives a good overview.

https://theconversation.com/what-is-...ll-about-50373

Although I disagree with the author that is has never worked on a large industrial scale. Anarchism manifested itself in the Spannish civil war in the late 1930s through the worker unions that made up the CNT and to an extent POUM left wing factions. Large parts of Catalonia was control e by these groups and who knows how they would have turned out if they had some how survived being crushed by both the Republican government and the Franco Fascists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    The word anarchist has been used in the news a fair bit recently to describe the events such as that attack on that cereal shop by those anti-gentrification protesters (class war?) or people spitting at Tories/press outside the Manchester Conservative conference.

I just spotted this article from The Conversation which I think sums it up quickly and gives a good overview.

Although I disagree with the author that is has never worked on a large industrial scale. Anarchism manifested itself in the Spannish civil war in the late 1930s through the worker unions that made up the CNT and to an extent POUM left wing factions. Large parts of Catalonia was control e by these groups and who knows how they would have turned out if they had some how survived being crushed by both the Republican government and the Franco Fascists.
    The people outside the Manchester Conservative Conference where Disabled People Against Cuts. That Far-Left group which I am part of. And Yes I enjoyed what Paula Peters & the other Guys/Gals did.

As for the Anti-Gentrification crowd outside the cereal shop that was Class War and ANTIFA. Majority of the Whitechapel crowd.

Class War folks do have a point though. London is becoming a no go zone for the working classes. You either slave away in the city of corruption and go back to your hovel 50-100 miles away because you can't even afford a Shed with a Bed at the back of someone's Garden.

ReputationRep:
    journalists have no clue what anarchism is
    I mean, if there's a mob like the million mask march which is specfiially asking for *more government*, how on earth are they anarchists?! they've been labelled that word over and over again! the only explanation would be ignorance of political terminology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

I don't see anarchism working on a large scale either. Is this something you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I don't see anarchism working on a large scale either. Is this something you want?
    Car wash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Car wash?
    I am a big fan of raw capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    In the two cases you mentioned the anarchists being referred to were either black bloc who are 100% anarcho-communists or they were antifa who have a large number of anarcho-communist types in them.

ReputationRep:
    The people outside the Manchester Conservative Conference where Disabled People Against Cuts. That Far-Left group which I am part of. And Yes I enjoyed what Paula Peters & the other Guys/Gals did.

As for the Anti-Gentrification crowd outside the cereal shop that was Class War and ANTIFA. Majority of the Whitechapel crowd.

Class War folks do have a point though. London is becoming a no go zone for the working classes. You either slave away in the city of corruption and go back to your hovel 50-100 miles away because you can't even afford a Shed with a Bed at the back of someone's Garden.
    How can you be a member of 'disabled people against cuts' when you're not disabled?

If London's becoming a no go area for working class people why's it the place where migrants go to live?

ReputationRep:
    I am a big fan of raw capitalism.
    That's understandable Bill, since it serves your interests nicely.

I see capitalism working even less on a large scale. Right now. It is not working and it never really has, except for the few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)

I see capitalism working even less on a large scale. Right now. It is not working and it never really has, except for the few.
    Capitalism is working fine. It's opening new markets to the free market. It's creating incredible innovations and it's driving the human race forward, it's directly intertwined with human nature and has shown no signs of slowing down.

ReputationRep:

And yet the standard of living has continued to rise for those living under it. Those that don't live under it inevitably change their surroundings so they do live under it.

I wonder why it continues to survive and out last and out perform all other economic control.
    Why do you think that is?

ReputationRep:
    Capitalism is working fine. It's opening new markets to the free market. It's creating incredible innovations and it's driving the human race forward, it's directly intertwined with human nature and has shown no signs of slowing down.
    The principle of the market economy is to serve only the few and the state. Not humanity.

It does create innovations but they are designed firstly for profit and secondly are mostly only used for profit anyway.

Most humans sell their labour for a starvation wage and see no progress or regresson. This has moved from the landlord exploting his serfs to one state exploiting another so it's less close to home but still there. In fact, if this were NOT the case, the capitalist system would fail.

Edit: there are plenty of good arguments against your point of it being intertwined with human nature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    And yet the standard of living has continued to rise for those living under it. Those that don't live under it inevitably change their surroundings so they do live under it.

I wonder why it continues to survive and out last and out perform all other economic control.
    Why do you think that is?
    1. Standard of living for those in first world countries has improved, if it didn't then the system would have had no chance at all!

2. It survives mostly becuase of authority and an ignorant/compalcent population in first world countries

Edit: but mostly because of authority
    Additionally, we have never really tried another economic system so your point about that is moot

ReputationRep:
    How can you be a member of 'disabled people against cuts' when you're not disabled?

If London's becoming a no go area for working class people why's it the place where migrants go to live?
    Migrants live in Sheds with Beds. MS I've told you numerous times about my personal circumstances but you turn the whole forum about a argument about me. Don't start your stupid rambles. I haven't got the patience for it.

ReputationRep:
    1. Standard of living for those in first world countries has improved, if it didn't then the system would have had no chance at all!

2. It survives mostly becuase of authority and an ignorant/compalcent population in first world countries

Edit: but mostly because of authority
    Additionally, we have never really tried another economic system so your point about that is moot
    Standard of living has improved globally. Not just first world nations.

Might I recommend reading the book 'Global Shift' by peter Dickens. He objectivity looks at the global economy from a rather balanced viewpoint. By every measure of humanity, the worlds population has improved its standards of living through capitalism.

Capitalism doesn't survive through authority. When was the last time somebody told you 'you must live by this method?'

Here's a hint, if you hold a minority opinion, it's normally because the majority have shunned that opinion as flawed.

People have been espousing the end of the world since the dawn of time. Society is still here because it follows methadologies that work. Capitalism is one such methodology.

ReputationRep:
    Migrants live in Sheds with Beds. MS I've told you numerous times about my personal circumstances but you turn the whole forum about a argument about me. Don't start your stupid rambles. I haven't got the patience for it.
    You have mild dyslexia. That's not a disability.

ReputationRep:
    these so-called anarchists are just sad spoilt wannabes who get their designer kecks moist by disrespecting war memorials.

ReputationRep:
    The principle of the market economy is to serve only the few and the state. Not humanity.

It does create innovations but they are designed firstly for profit and secondly are mostly only used for profit anyway.

Most humans sell their labour for a starvation wage and see no progress or regresson. This has moved from the landlord exploting his serfs to one state exploiting another so it's less close to home but still there. In fact, if this were NOT the case, the capitalist system would fail.

Edit: there are plenty of good arguments against your point of it being intertwined with human nature
    Nonsense. Only capitalism has been able to bring that many people out of poverty, the Chinese tried and failed using communism for years. This "debate" is so done. I think everyone even those on the left accept capitalism is the only way forward. The rest are delusional. Self interest brings the best outcome for all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What a ridiculous question, that's like asking how you can be a member of Cancer Research if you don't have Cancer or the NAS if you don't have Autism. If you care about the impact cuts are having on disabled people, it makes absolute sense to join "disabled people against cuts".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    What a ridiculous question, that's like asking how you can be a member of Cancer Research if you don't have Cancer or the NAS if you don't have Autism. If you care about the impact cuts are having on disabled people, it makes absolute sense to join "disabled people against cuts".
    Disabled people against cuts.

The clues in the name.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.