Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Chemistry at uni but do not have the right grades so I was thinking of either completing a foundation year or to complete an access to higher education course.

If anyone has completed one of these could you please tell me the pros and cons.

I don't know if unis would prefer foundation or courses of access courses so if anyone knows or has any advice that would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Foundation year over access courses every time. You'll get to learn how a more academic way of studying and working and so you'll be in a much more advantageous position than those who enter uni via access courses / a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !!mentor!!)
    Foundation year over access courses every time. You'll get to learn how a more academic way of studying and working and so you'll be in a much more advantageous position than those who enter uni via access courses / a-levels.
    Are the % pass rates different for each uni or are the all around the same pass mark?

ReputationRep:
    Is the foundation year the same as the first year of a degree, in regards to getting student finance/loans etc?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The basic FAQs about each are in this thread.

Personally I would do an Access course. They are cheaper, and if you use a 24+ loan to pay for it the loan is written off after you graduate. They allow you time to study a subject and see if you really like it before you commit to studying it at degree level. An Access to Science course would enable you to do virtually any science degree, so you aren't just limited to chemistry. You also have more options re choosing a university.

That said, it depends how old you are and when you did A levels. I don't think an Access course is appropriate if you've only just finished your A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    The basic FAQs about each are in this thread.

Personally I would do an Access course. They are cheaper, and if you use a 24+ loan to pay for it the loan is written off after you graduate. They allow you time to study a subject and see if you really like it before you commit to studying it at degree level. An Access to Science course would enable you to do virtually any science degree, so you aren't just limited to chemistry. You also have more options re choosing a university.

That said, it depends how old you are and when you did A levels. I don't think an Access course is appropriate if you've only just finished your A levels.
    I only completed A-Levels this year and I am set on doing chemistry so thats one of the reasons why I would choose foundation year over access course because I know exactly what I want to do.

Don't suppose you know how fees and industrial year/year abroad is like do you?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by frodobggins)
    I only completed A-Levels this year and I am set on doing chemistry so thats one of the reasons why I would choose foundation year over access course because I know exactly what I want to do.

Don't suppose you know how fees and industrial year/year abroad is like do you?
    Foundation year fees are the same as normal uni fees, you just take out student loans for an extra year. If you do a year abroad as part of your degree you pay 15% of a normal year's tuition (around £1350), and if you study abroad in Europe you get a non-repayable grant to help cover living costs. I don't know if students on a work placement pay fees, you'd have to ask the university.

If you're sure you want to do chemistry, and you know what university you want to go to (and it does a foundation year), then do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frodobggins)
    Are the % pass rates different for each uni or are the all around the same pass mark?
    In my uni, the foundation year students (on average) are doing better than those that came in with A-Levels / access courses because they were given a good grounding of the subject and became well versed in the academic way of studying. In regards to funding, you can get full funding for 4 years of studying (plus an integrated masters if your chemistry course has such an option). With a sandwich year, you don't get full funding as far as i'm aware but the company that you intern for usually give a salary anyway.

Go for the foundation year.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.