Turn on thread page Beta

Unplag plagiarism checker watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever used this before submitting an assignment - if so is it reliable?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Juuuuh)
    Has anyone ever used this before submitting an assignment - if so is it reliable?
    Do you not have insitutional access to turnitin? Personally i would never risk using a non-uni one as you never know what they d do with your submission

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Do you not have insitutional access to turnitin? Personally i would never risk using a non-uni one as you never know what they d do with your submission
    Personally i would never risk to pre-check my paper with Turnitin before submission, considering the fact that Turnitin may show 100% plagiarism after the second(real) check conducted by teacher. We all know perfectly well how do they actually earn money, by copying student's papers and then scanning against all those saved works.

As for Unplag, i still use it for my uni needs and I never experienced any security or privacy problems with it. Moreover, it scans against internet in real time, comparing to turnitin that only uses its parsed data.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Chapkis)
    Personally i would never risk to pre-check my paper with Turnitin before submission, considering the fact that Turnitin may show 100% plagiarism after the second(real) check conducted by teacher. We all know perfectly well how do they actually earn money, by copying student's papers and then scanning against all those saved works.

As for Unplag, i still use it for my uni needs and I never experienced any security or privacy problems with it. Moreover, it scans against internet in real time, comparing to turnitin that only uses its parsed data.
    Do you mean using turnitin for yourself on your universities systems?
    Turnitin can be set to not pick up on any testers or set to overwrite anything you've previously done to that same set space. Done it multiple times with numerous assignments on my universities blackboard over the past two years (in fact every lecturer encourages us to do so) and as we can always check upon submission so i know there's never any chance of that 100% happening. I wouldnt use an external turnitin or any other external website as they could sell any of my assignments without my knowledge. Any website that offers that service for free i wouldnt ever trust myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Do you mean using turnitin for yourself on your universities systems?
    Turnitin can be set to not pick up on any testers or set to overwrite anything you've previously done to that same set space. Done it multiple times with numerous assignments on my universities blackboard over the past two years (in fact every lecturer encourages us to do so) and as we can always check upon submission so i know there's never any chance of that 100% happening. I wouldnt use an external turnitin or any other external website as they could sell any of my assignments without my knowledge. Any website that offers that service for free i wouldnt ever trust myself.
    That's true when we are talking about in-build systems, correct Turnitin settings and cases when universities give an opportunity to pre-check the paper. Otherwise, you are forced to search for an alternative reliable commercial plagiarism checker, as free services are really insecure.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.