Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Interesting read this

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...-u10-age-group
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good. They should probably ban it for U14.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does heading really cause damage to the average kid? However you'd imagine/hope in the long run that it improves their technical skills since they will spend more time on them and encourage it more?

I thought USA had more of a problem with head injuries from playing American Football?
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Quite intelligent, seeing as the game should be learning skill young. We were to obsessed with being tough or being a man in this country, fact is science can show you what that can do to developing brains.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Does heading really cause damage to the average kid? However you'd imagine/hope in the long run that it improves their technical skills since they will spend more time on them and encourage it more?

I thought USA had more of a problem with head injuries from playing American Football?
Can't find it for love nor money at the moment but I remember reading about a study of women college football in the US which showed that the difference in g-force between heading a football and tackles in American Football are much closer than originally thought ( they are also much more prevalent) and that this risk created repeated small scale brain damage to the individuals involved.

American Football does have a massive problem with concussions, I think some are worried that other less obviously violent sports are sailing under the radar.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)

Actually, the average kid probably doesn't head a lot. I guess this would mostly affect strikers and some defenders who feel obliged to get in there. (But honestly, I'd tell most grassroots kids to duck. :lol: )

I think whether it is harmful depends also on neck strength which is more developed in older kids. You make a good point about technique that has to be learned. Hopefully older kids could still learn that. They could focus on many other skills at younger ages.

Yes probably. Also in "soccer", collisions between heads (or heads and elbows etc) are more harmful than collisions between a head and a ball.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Cue under 10s getting injured from attempting outrageous Bicycle kick.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Probably will help them in a technical sense, they will learn to use their feet more than their head as it's a more effective way of playing football.

Regardless of safety concerns I doubt the spanish team spend long time with U10s doing target man work.
sevchenko
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, better to save their tender little brains from 'soccer' so that they can later be permanently damaged by a true American sport instead.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tbh the only really rough sport to the head is american football. Baseball I guess but there's protection there for the most part.

(Original post by sevchenko)
South Park tends to hit the nail on the head. It's genuinely a philosophical programme.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Boxing is quite tough on the head.
The Rad Prince
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Apparently it does actually cause minor brain injury which accumulates over time

It's probably a good move from a training perspective anyway, keeping the ball, moving, passing, tackling all makes more sense than the English ideal of a big man up front, maybe with a small guy like Michael Owen.

inb4 'Right LADS, Alan Shearer propa good no nonsense English center forward, none of this poncy Narmey nonsense'
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
back in the 50's the ball was made of leather and when wet would probably double in weight?

I imagine that a wet leather ball must have hurt. It's been suggested that professional players of the era suffered head injuries, like when a boxer became punch drunk.
BLD1001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jam277)
Probably will help them in a technical sense, they will learn to use their feet more than their head as it's a more effective way of playing football.

Regardless of safety concerns I doubt the spanish team spend long time with U10s doing target man work.
Baring in mind that the best young kids that join clubs will be taught to use your head and attack the ball at corners and free kicks, coaches teach this to all the kids at such young ages so that when they join major league clubs like the Arsenal and Spurs and Manchester clubs it becomes natural to them. Removing this from the game for younger kids will start to think that they cant use their head during the game, their would be no player wanting to compete in an aerial ball. Heading the ball basically takes away part of the game for kids and potentially adults. If heading does cause dementia in the long term then its up to the football players what they do with the ball.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (203)
22.51%
The paper was reasonable (408)
45.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (169)
18.74%
It was TERRIBLE (122)
13.53%

Watched Threads