US bans headers for the age 10 group and below watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Interesting read this

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...-u10-age-group

ReputationRep:
    Good. They should probably ban it for U14.

ReputationRep:
    Does heading really cause damage to the average kid? However you'd imagine/hope in the long run that it improves their technical skills since they will spend more time on them and encourage it more?

I thought USA had more of a problem with head injuries from playing American Football?

ReputationRep:
    Quite intelligent, seeing as the game should be learning skill young. We were to obsessed with being tough or being a man in this country, fact is science can show you what that can do to developing brains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Does heading really cause damage to the average kid? However you'd imagine/hope in the long run that it improves their technical skills since they will spend more time on them and encourage it more?

I thought USA had more of a problem with head injuries from playing American Football?
    Can't find it for love nor money at the moment but I remember reading about a study of women college football in the US which showed that the difference in g-force between heading a football and tackles in American Football are much closer than originally thought ( they are also much more prevalent) and that this risk created repeated small scale brain damage to the individuals involved.

American Football does have a massive problem with concussions, I think some are worried that other less obviously violent sports are sailing under the radar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)

Actually, the average kid probably doesn't head a lot. I guess this would mostly affect strikers and some defenders who feel obliged to get in there. (But honestly, I'd tell most grassroots kids to duck. :lol: )

I think whether it is harmful depends also on neck strength which is more developed in older kids. You make a good point about technique that has to be learned. Hopefully older kids could still learn that. They could focus on many other skills at younger ages.

Yes probably. Also in "soccer", collisions between heads (or heads and elbows etc) are more harmful than collisions between a head and a ball.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Cue under 10s getting injured from attempting outrageous Bicycle kick.

ReputationRep:
    Probably will help them in a technical sense, they will learn to use their feet more than their head as it's a more effective way of playing football.

Regardless of safety concerns I doubt the spanish team spend long time with U10s doing target man work.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, better to save their tender little brains from 'soccer' so that they can later be permanently damaged by a true American sport instead.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the only really rough sport to the head is american football. Baseball I guess but there's protection there for the most part.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    South Park tends to hit the nail on the head. It's genuinely a philosophical programme.

ReputationRep:
    Boxing is quite tough on the head.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it does actually cause minor brain injury which accumulates over time

It's probably a good move from a training perspective anyway, keeping the ball, moving, passing, tackling all makes more sense than the English ideal of a big man up front, maybe with a small guy like Michael Owen.

inb4 'Right LADS, Alan Shearer propa good no nonsense English center forward, none of this poncy Narmey nonsense'

ReputationRep:
    back in the 50's the ball was made of leather and when wet would probably double in weight?

I imagine that a wet leather ball must have hurt. It's been suggested that professional players of the era suffered head injuries, like when a boxer became punch drunk.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.