Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Please could someone explain why the fringes get dimmer going outwards from the centre. All the videos I've watched explain it in terms of the diffraction grating equation which we haven't done yet.

There's also another question which I don't understand which is "describe how the appearance of fringes would change if the slits were made wider without changing their centre to centre separation.

Thanks very much for any help

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hi,

Please could someone explain why the fringes get dimmer going outwards from the centre. All the videos I've watched explain it in terms of the diffraction grating equation which we haven't done yet.

There's also another question which I don't understand which is "describe how the appearance of fringes would change if the slits were made wider without changing their centre to centre separation.

Thanks very much for any help
    Well you can analyse the single slit as a continuous series of tiny slits across the width of the physical slit... zero angle is favorable for getting constructive interference at the screen, you can pair off the virtual slits starting from the edges of the physical slit and see that they will have constructive interference at zero angle, so you get a large maxima here but at some other angles you can get a net small amplitude too due to a small majority of constructive interference with a significant minority of destructive.

afaik you only need to understand this qualitatively at A level.

is the second question is about Young's double slit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Well you can analyse the single slit as a continuous series of tiny slits across the width of the physical slit... zero angle is favorable for getting constructive interference at the screen, you can pair off the virtual slits starting from the edges of the physical slit and see that they will have constructive interference at zero angle, so you get a large maxima here but at some other angles you can get a net small amplitude too due to a small majority of constructive interference with a significant minority of destructive.

afaik you only need to understand this qualitatively at A level.

is the second question is about Young's double slit?
    Thanks very much for your help. I thought that the 2nd question was about single slit diffraction as well as it was on the page about single slit but I've noticed that in the question it says slits so now I'm not sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.