Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Parents separated - how do I prove eligibility watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My parents have been separated for the last 6 years, but are not divorced. I live with my mum full time and she supports me financially with her spousal maintenance. There is no taxable income and we do not receive any benefits.

Questions: How do we prove our income? How do we prove we no longer live with my dad?

My mum says her council tax bill shows a 25% reduction because of single occupancy. She has contacted a solicitor to get a letter confirming she is separated (I think she needs to swear on that, not sure though). Will this suffice or is other proof needed?

Do bank statements get checked to see how much she gets paid? Or, again via the solicitor, does she need to get a letter confirming her monthly non-taxable income.

She does have a NI number which will prove that she does not have any taxable income.

Lastly, when does the solicitor need to set up the letter(s)? Can it be generic or does it have to be university specific?

Please advise as we are really worried about this.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi

If the council tax bill shows a 25% single person discount, then this is acceptable on its own. We can acceot a council tax bill that shows any of the following:
    • 25% Single Occupancy Discount
    • 18-20 Still in Education
    • Single Person Discount
    • Sole Occupier Discount
    • Only one adult resident
    The alternative list of acceptable evidence is:
    • Solicitors letter confirming separation
    • A Signed Affidavit - a sworn declaration they make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. They typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.
    • Statutory declaration - normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or can be drafted a a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi

If the council tax bill shows a 25% single person discount, then this is acceptable on its own. We can acceot a council tax bill that shows any of the following:
    • 25% Single Occupancy Discount
    • 18-20 Still in Education
    • Single Person Discount
    • Sole Occupier Discount
    • Only one adult resident

The alternative list of acceptable evidence is:

• Solicitors letter confirming separation
    • A Signed Affidavit - a sworn declaration they make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. They typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.
    • Statutory declaration - normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or can be drafted a a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court

Thanks
    Hi Mark

Thank you for replying and answering our question on how to prove single occupancy.

Could you also please let me know our questions with regards to proving our income, especially as we do not have taxable income.

Is submitting the NI number enough?
    Are bank statements required?
    A solicitor letter confirming the spousal maintenance my mum receives from my dad and also that she is now our main support?

Lastly, in order to be proactive, can we arrange everything now or would this make it "out of date"?

Hope you can help on this and thank you again.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

When your mum submits her NI number online with her application and declares a zero taxable income we will then check this amount with HMRC with the details your mums has provided to us with. We would not require bank statements etc.

As long as the letter is dated within the last 6 months of sending and applying this should be fine.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi,

When your mum submits her NI number online with her application and declares a zero taxable income we will then check this amount with HMRC with the details your mums has provided to us with. We would not require bank statements etc.

As long as the letter is dated within the last 6 months of sending and applying this should be fine.

Thanks.
    Hi

Thank you very much for replying so quickly, really appreciate it. I will pass all the info on to my mum now.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.