Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This may be the wrong place for this post so sorry in advance if it is. (EDIT: woops. I have just seen the sub-forum that this would be better placed in, hopefully a moderator can move this.)

I think I have found a niche for a job board and have purchased my domain, although the next step is designing/building the website. I have no coding skills, and noticed that there is a huge selection of website builders out there but I am confused and want advice on the best way to go about building this.

I have an idea of what I want it to look like, very clean, modern and simple. It will be free for candidates to use and I will charge employers not for the job listings but if a candidate applies to their job (not sure how I would create this monetisation referral/affiliation?).

Also is it possible for the whole application process to take place on the employers website through the apply now button - that way no sensitive information such as CVs and covering letters would have to be stored on my job board. But maybe the application would have to take place on my job board, but how could I ensure that the sensitive information is stored securely?

So would website builders such as Wix enable these functions, or can anyone recommend other options?

As you can see I come across very amateurish when it involves website design so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    I wish you all the very best with this idea but...
    - a lack of coding skills means you are going to have to outsource this. It is more complicated than you might imagine. I worked for a company that spent between £2k and £5k for a modest site update which as a software dev seemed reasonable. Online website builders are generally based around content rather than sortable custom lists of data that can be searched or sorted in specific ways. You couldn't implement Rightmove in Wordpress for example.
    - Have you remembered agents. Certainly in the IT world, all job content on job boards is generated by agents and none by employers
    - From a small employers perspective implementing an online application process is costly and bothersome. The whole point of outsourcing recruitment to agents or job boards is that they deal with issues of confidentiality, security of data and spam. If you are simply a referral site, why should employers use you over an agent or just Google / Facebook / LinkedIn?
    - Once you have your website, how are you going to market it? Do you have a big fat marketing budget?

I wish you the very best of luck but in all honesty I think your time might be better spent doing other things. As Duncan Bannatyne would say "I'm oot."

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I wish you all the very best with this idea but...
    - a lack of coding skills means you are going to have to outsource this. It is more complicated than you might imagine. I worked for a company that spent between £2k and £5k for a modest site update which as a software dev seemed reasonable. Online website builders are generally based around content rather than sortable custom lists of data that can be searched or sorted in specific ways. You couldn't implement Rightmove in Wordpress for example.
    - Have you remembered agents. Certainly in the IT world, all job content on job boards is generated by agents and none by employers
    - From a small employers perspective implementing an online application process is costly and bothersome. The whole point of outsourcing recruitment to agents or job boards is that they deal with issues of confidentiality, security of data and spam. If you are simply a referral site, why should employers use you over an agent or just Google / Facebook / LinkedIn?
    - Once you have your website, how are you going to market it? Do you have a big fat marketing budget?

I wish you the very best of luck but in all honesty I think your time might be better spent doing other things. As Duncan Bannatyne would say "I'm oot."

Good luck!
    Thanks for the insight!

I can't argue with the first point. There is a site I found that allows you to use a job board template at either £x/month or 25% profit share, but again I am doubtful on the ability to customize this.

The third point is duly noted, but the only reason I could see employers/agencies using this website would be for an increased viewing of these specific job listings - a niche where candidates are looking for one thing only - these listings on other job boards seem to disappear fast amongst the masses.

And nope, I do not have a marketing budget, although I would be hopeful - through emailing certain targets that they would then further get the word out to potential candidates. The only worry is the persuasion of employers/agencies to use the job board at first - after all I can't have lots of candidates with no jobs and vice versa; perhaps no charges for any adverts for a time period could entice some. Social media would also be very useful for marketing.

Would you happen to know the hosting plan needed for a job board with say 1000 visits/month, 100 job listings/month? Would the basic ones be able to cope with those sort of numbers?

Again, thanks for your input, you seem to be more knowledgeable than me on the topic

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.