Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

My name is Amy Potts and I am a third year Archaeology student at BU.

If you have any questions concerning either archaeology, SciTech, archaeology related courses or Bournemouth in general feel free to ask!

Amy

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amy,
    I am intending taking my GCSE's this year and in the process of choosing my A levels. I intend to study for a BSc in Archaeology. I have looked at the university web sites eg. UCL, Southampton, York
    and they all say "one" science A level. I was thinking of taking 3 of Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Biology and an Economics AS. Do you think these A levels are ok. Is Chemistry more useful than Physics?

Advice welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waggle15)
    Hi Amy,
    I am intending taking my GCSE's this year and in the process of choosing my A levels. I intend to study for a BSc in Archaeology. I have looked at the university web sites eg. UCL, Southampton, York
    and they all say "one" science A level. I was thinking of taking 3 of Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Biology and an Economics AS. Do you think these A levels are ok. Is Chemistry more useful than Physics?

Advice welcome.
    Hi Waggle

Firstly I would check the uni courses you are looking at. Look to see if they have any required subjects first.

If not then it is entirely down to you. Chemistry would probably be more useful than physics, simply because of the chemical analysis and work we do, but that is just down here at BU.

Otherwise the A levels sound fine, very sciency I would definitely do Biology and Chemistry out of the choices above and then choose which ones you like

Hope that helped a bit, good luck!

Any more questions and I am happy to help

Amy

ReputationRep:
    Hi Waggl15, I just saw this.

I'm a third year BSc Archaeology student at UCL and I only did Biology for A level alongside two humanities subjects - English Language and Geography. I would say that any of the subjects you're looking at would be more than qualifying for the BSc and I have people on my course without science A levels handling the workload and content fine. Go with what you enjoy and what you suspect you will do best in.

(Original post by Waggle15)
    Hi Amy,

Advice welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amy, I don't know if you've seen me post around the site - I'm basically trying to work out all my options ready for applying for 2017 entry. Probably starting to sound like a crazy person obsessed with whether or not I make the grade but oh well

Being from Bournemouth anyway, it would probably be my 1st choice for the BA Archaeology and Anthropology course. I will be a mature student without any science A Levels. However I plan on getting in as many experiences this year (including the Big Dig that BU operates). Just wondering if, in your experience, that would be enough for someone like me without the traditional qualifications? I achieved BCC at A Level (Eng Lit, RS and ICT) and GCSE-wise got 6 As, 2 Bs and 2 Cs.

Any other advice you'd be able to give would be fantastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiffin_bits)
    Hi Amy, I don't know if you've seen me post around the site - I'm basically trying to work out all my options ready for applying for 2017 entry. Probably starting to sound like a crazy person obsessed with whether or not I make the grade but oh well

Being from Bournemouth anyway, it would probably be my 1st choice for the BA Archaeology and Anthropology course. I will be a mature student without any science A Levels. However I plan on getting in as many experiences this year (including the Big Dig that BU operates). Just wondering if, in your experience, that would be enough for someone like me without the traditional qualifications? I achieved BCC at A Level (Eng Lit, RS and ICT) and GCSE-wise got 6 As, 2 Bs and 2 Cs.

Hi Tiffin_bits,

My name is Gemma and I am currently a second year student at BU.

I've had a look and BA Archaeology and Anthropology consider all courses, so don't be disheartened that you didn't study any science A-Levels.

Also the entry requirement is 260 - 300 ucas points; with your BCC you would have reached the 260 points required.

Is it good you are planning on doing work experience as this will make your application even stronger.

I hoped this helped and I am sure Amy will be able to give you more information as well

Good luck with everything!
    Gemma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiffin_bits)

Hi tiffin

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, exam week in final year is a little hectic.
    (and as someone who has wanted to be an archaeologist her whole life you sound perfectly sane to me - so never worry on that part )

Re science a levels- don't panic. people come from all walks and have experience in all sorts of topics. Personally I did my A levels in geology, geography and classical civ (not exactly the typically strong science stuff). The first year of uni is about getting everyone to the same point- you should all be on an even playing field by the end of the year. Personally, I think so long as you work hard you will be fine.

Getting experience on the big dig before you come will give you a great head start- especially come summer at the end of first year when you do it "for real". It might be worth bushing up a little on some basic human anatomy and chemistry, but I would wait and see what units you are doing and what is expected of you first. I have known people to come and do archaeology courses with no grounding in science what so ever and they have done fine.

the best part about arch and anth is that you can tailor the course- if you are struggling or don't enjoy the more sciency side of things you can pick your options to focus on the social side. It is a lot of fun (and the units sound awesome!) When you join, talk to lecturers if you are worried, they should help steer you in the right direction.

Experience is definitely the best thing you get over the summer before you join. Go on digs or (if you are looking to get a career in the sector) join societies, do courses anything to get yourself really keen and eager (it also looks great to the lecturers and on your application).

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know about the course or uni?

All the best! And good luck with the dig in the summer (the last two years we have had brilliant weather!)

Amy

ReputationRep:
    What do you learn doing 'Bsc Archaeology with forensic science' at Exeter University?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.