The Student Room Group

Watch Men Learn What Feminism Means And Then Realize Something Obvious

[video="youtube;MN1Qzey2aos"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=MN1Qzey2aos[/video]

So if you believe in that, you might just be a feminist.And because these ladies didn't have time to get into the whole "I'm not a feminist; I'm a humanist!" fallacy, I'll go ahead and go ahead and cover that humanism is already a thing. In fact, it's actually several different varieties of thing, all loosely related to learning, education, and rational thought. It's not at all related to social power structures or the rights and freedoms of various groups.

And if you're still wondering why feminism doesn't have a different gender-neutral name, I'd say that if, after centuries upon centuries of women having their rights and freedoms trampled upon, you don't think women deserve a movement dedicated primarily (though not exclusively) to advocating for our interests and that is unashamed to label itself as such, then all I don't know what to tell you.So to all you "I'm not a feminists" out there, take a look at the video. I promise, feminism is not as scary as you think.

Honestly , girls (and guys , but specifically girls) if you dont think that you should be paid equally , treated equally , respected equally and not seen as just a sexual object. Then i'm sorry , you're a feminist.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[video="youtube;UwJRFClybmk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJRFClybmk[/video]
The video is wrong. Feminism means many different things to many different people. There is no one specific definition or branch of feminism. Which is why defining yourself as a "feminist" is controversial. There are many different types of feminists.
Reply 3
Original post by AlwaysWatching
The video is wrong. Feminism means many different things to many different people. There is no one specific definition or branch of feminism. Which is why defining yourself as a "feminist" is controversial. There are many different types of feminists.

Exactly , that's why the post was made : to teach you the true meaning of feminism , the general meaning.

honestly , if feminism means 'man hating' to you then i feel genuinely sorry for you.

[video="youtube;ygsVEouHU68"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygsVEouHU68[/video]
Feminism means barbarism. It means ruining a tried and tested system that was good for the raising of children so women can be narcissistic and pretend they are men which destroys the basis of civilisation and makes women unhappy.
Original post by Attics

honestly , if feminism means 'man hating' to you then i feel genuinely sorry for

I never suggested that.

The third video you posted is also full of holes. For example, it is not a fact as the lady suggested that "men are not systematically oppressed based on their gender". That is an opinion, not a fact.

I agree that the general idea of feminism is about equality. But it's definition is widely debated in academia, and there are many different forms of feminism, some I agree with and others that I do not.
3rd wave, inter-sectional feminism does not mean that, 2nd wave does but unless you make the distinction you can't just say what feminism mean.
Reply 7
I never suggested that.

The third video you posted is also full of holes. For example, it is not a fact as the lady suggested that "men are not systematically oppressed based on their gender". That is an opinion, not a fact.

I agree that the general idea of feminism is about equality. But it's definition is widely debated in academia, and there are many different forms of feminism, some I agree with and others that I do not.

but what else would it mean to people ?

men are not systematically oppressed based on their gender
key word : systematically

Sexism is based on a system of oppression. You CAN be discriminatory, rude, inconsiderate, and/or prejudiced against men but you CANNOT be sexist toward them and they cannon be oppressed by the system. If they are , then women are more oppressed.

to put it another way : If women were considered the dominant gender and a woman tried to be rude to you or shut you out , then she is oppressing you since she has the upper hand.

they didnt say that men arent discriminated against , they're saying that they arent systematically oppressed.
Original post by Attics
but what else would it mean to people ?

men are not systematically oppressed based on their gender
key word : systematically

Sexism is based on a system of oppression. You CAN be discriminatory, rude, inconsiderate, and/or prejudiced against men but you CANNOT be sexist toward them and they cannon be oppressed by the system. If they are , then women are more oppressed.

to put it another way : If women were considered the dominant gender and a woman tried to be rude to you or shut you out , then she is oppressing you since she has the upper hand.

they didnt say that men arent discriminated against , they're saying that they arent systematically oppressed.

I think it is ironic that on both armistice day and the 100th anniversary of conscription being introduced for young British males in WW1, you decide to say men cannot be oppressed by the system. It just goes to show how narrow the entire debate around systematic oppression and its definition in feminism has become, and by how much you really don't understand what feminism really means.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it is ironic that on both on armistice day and the 100th anniversary of conscription being introduced for young British males in WW1, you decide to say men cannot be oppressed by the system. It just goes to show how narrow the entire debate around systematic oppression and feminism has become, and by how much you really don't understand what feminism really means.

Excellent post.
Reply 10
Original post by jamiep151
3rd wave, inter-sectional feminism does not mean that, 2nd wave does but unless you make the distinction you can't just say what feminism mean.

feminism is all rooted back to the same idea , it has the same core and idea , then it slowly branched into different sectors.

there's white feminism , which essentially has the mind set of 'as long as its not happening to me I shouldnt stand up for it'

sex-radical feminism, or sexually liberal feminism that centers on the idea that sexual freedom is an essential component of women's freedom
there's

Radical feminism (Which is the main type of feminism) , they're usually the ones who generally believe in women's rights and call for a change

there's feminazis(or thats what people like to call them) and these are generally the man haters
Someone ran a poll yesterday. There were 3 options: I'm a feminist; I believe in EQUAL RIGHTS for men & women; and I'm a traditionalist that believe men and women have their place. The fact that several people overlooked the equal rights option and voted for feminism instead, proves beyond all doubt that feminism, for a lot of those that support it, isn't about equal rights, but about women having privileges and men being classified as lower class citizens. Equal rights I support, but as a man I obviously am against being treated as a member of a second class gender.
Reply 12
I think it is ironic that on both armistice day and the 100th anniversary of conscription being introduced for young British males in WW1, you decide to say men cannot be oppressed by the system. It just goes to show how narrow the entire debate around systematic oppression and its definition in feminism has become, and by how much you really don't understand what feminism really means.

men are not oppressed and Im not just talking about the law.
and like I said , if they are oppressed then women are more oppressed.

both are being discriminated against , obviously.
so if you're really worried about the men's right , then you are , essentially a feminist because you attain gender equality by advocating for the rights of the underprivileged gender
[video="youtube;6J2nVQpjIyE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2nVQpjIyE[/video]
Original post by Attics
feminism is all rooted back to the same idea , it has the same core and idea , then it slowly branched into different sectors.

there's white feminism , which essentially has the mind set of 'as long as its not happening to me I shouldnt stand up for it'

sex-radical feminism, or sexually liberal feminism that centers on the idea that sexual freedom is an essential component of women's freedom
there's

Radical feminism (Which is the main type of feminism) , they're usually the ones who generally believe in women's rights and call for a change

there's feminazis(or thats what people like to call them) and these are generally the man haters

It all started from the same place but when you see old school feminists like Germaine Greer being banned from feminist events on university campuses its clear that not all self identified feminists follow the same ideas.
Original post by Attics
men are not oppressed and Im not just talking about the law.
and like I said , if they are oppressed then women are more oppressed.

both are being discriminated against , obviously.
so if you're really worried about the men's right , then you are , essentially a feminist because you attain gender equality by advocating for the rights of the underprivileged gender

If you truly believe that being forcibly taken from your home and made to fight, kill and die isn't systematic oppression, then god help you.

I have no problem defining myself as a feminist in terms of believing in gender equality. It is you that has a problem with understanding what "systematic oppression" means. I've pointed out one of the many cases.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by WoodyMKC
Someone ran a poll yesterday. There were 3 options: I'm a feminist; I believe in EQUAL RIGHTS for men & women; and I'm a traditionalist that believe men and women have their place. The fact that several people overlooked the equal rights option and voted for feminism instead, proves beyond all doubt that feminism, for a lot of those that support it, isn't about equal rights, but about women having privileges and men being classified as lower class citizens. Equal rights I support, but as a man I obviously am against being treated as a member of a second class gender.

Its because women are being oppressed and like I said yesterday in another post : its like the 'Black Lives Matter' movement.
it was made to highlight the struggle PoC went through only to be shut down by white people using the 'All Lives Matter' movement and saying that not only black people matter.

someone proclaiming that a specific group of lives matter is not saying other lives don't matter , black people are the most underpriviledged.
"It is not an act of egalitarianism or a relevant or even important point. Obviously all lives matter. That does not need said.But we live in a world where Black men, women, and children are being killed in the streets with impunity."

You can say you believe in equal rights once equal rights have been achieved.
Ignoring the fact that females are the gender that are the underprivileged, underserved gender and skipping right to 'I believe in equal rights' fixes nothing.
Reply 16

I can't rep but :thumbsup:
Nope, sorry, I'm definitely not a feminist.
Why do feminists always take the sort of insufferable, patronising tone OP does especially towards men?

They fear that if they acknowledge non-feminist arguments as valid counterpoints their bubble might be popped. Therefore they must talk down to us and paint us as either slow, misguided or bigoted.
Reply 19
If you truly believe that being forcibly taken from your home and made to fight, kill and die isn't systematic oppression, then god help you.

I believe that it is discrimanatory and law-wise oppressing.
and believe it or not , it was once a topic of discussion on a feminist blog.(called guhrrls , i think)

Quick Reply

Latest