Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who's doin D1 tomorrow?... personally i find it totally pointless.... and not really maths but hey...

any one interested in writing up some tips, advice, or revision summaries? i would be more than glad to read them...

ok time to cram some dijkstra, nd postman thery ore whateva.... oh and any one know where i can get solutions to teh past papers for Jan 2004, nov 2003
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's awful.. not even maths. It's problem solving, and a 10 year old would be able to do half the stuff if taught properly. Still, I'll be practicing simplex method all day today. Somehow, I can never get the right answer.

ReputationRep:
    hi dudes

i got this tommorrow. D1 is the most applied maths u could probably get. U can hardly work anything out from first principles, u just have to know the method off by heart. god dammit it pisses me off, cause i have a rubbish memory.

any tips with critical path analysis and float would be good.

ReputationRep:
    btw how are u guys revising for the exam??

what technique ... past papers, reading the book??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAS)
    btw how are u guys revising for the exam??

what technique ... past papers, reading the book??
    I've got D1 on monday, i can't do much of it, i don't like djikstras and all those first fit algorithms. its absolutely pointless

ReputationRep:
    Grrr I hate D1 so much... its such a load of crap compared to pure maths. I'm actually posting here cos i got distracted from my D1 revision. Oh well, i only need about 42 ums points, hopefully i'll be able to get that! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    d1s the gayest module its really ****in me up nicely!! ive got 3 As in other modules and a ****in D in D1 grrrrrrrrrr...got one more chance on monday to try and do well.

ReputationRep:
    i have it tomorrow too (edexcel).. i agree that it's totally crap, i've been doing simplex for ages now and hardly ever seem to get it right...

they always seem to have a question on it though, and it's worth mega marks, so i'm going to go and do that one first in the exam

ReputationRep:
    do you guys ever run out of time.. cause i have this prob

ReputationRep:
    is there anyone that did d1 last year and got a good grade that can help me for my exam 2moro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAS)
    do you guys ever run out of time.. cause i have this prob
    yeh i never get to the last page, which is always linear programming, easy marks on that question, i'm too busy playing around with prims or krustkals, god i really can't b asked with this exam grrrrrr :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do Review exersise 3 tonight, then the second one tomorrow morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    yeh i never get to the last page, which is always linear programming, easy marks on that question, i'm too busy playing around with prims or krustkals, god i really can't b asked with this exam grrrrrr :mad:
    i no d feelin im struglin n its wayy to hot to work!

ReputationRep:
    Im doin network flow, and im just gettin confused, how can u obtain an initial flow through the network without them telling you which routes to use??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackzombies)
    Im doin network flow, and im just gettin confused, how can u obtain an initial flow through the network without them telling you which routes to use??
    The initial flow is zero.. then you maximise all the flows you can and check with the maximal flow thingy. Flows are easy, just like water pipes, except I don't see the point - why not just pump as much water as will go in and then you have the maximal flow without any silly algorithms...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    The initial flow is zero.. then you maximise all the flows you can and check with the maximal flow thingy. Flows are easy, just like water pipes, except I don't see the point - why not just pump as much water as will go in and then you have the maximal flow without any silly algorithms...
    ok so the intial is 0, then it says explain how you know that it is not maximal?1 mark

ReputationRep:
    Well it's obviously not maximal if you haven't got anything going through the edges. You test for optimality by finding the minimum cut - the minimum cut is equal to the maximum flow. So as long as your minimum cut isn't zero then you haven't found a maximal flow.

ReputationRep:
    some1 please explain the max flow min cut theorom! how do u recognise cut? i never see it!

ReputationRep:
    Wow sounds hard, good luck guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubba)
    some1 please explain the max flow min cut theorom! how do u recognise cut? i never see it!
    lucky thats not on my syllabus i'm doing ocr mei. and glad i've never heard of that

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.