Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right so I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I am debating what a levels to take. I want to study law at a top university - Oxbridge/ KCL ( by no means do I think I will be able to get into them - they are just my aspirations) but I don't know what a levels to take.
    I was thinking law. Psychology, sociology and history but I've heard a lot about 'facilitating' subjects. What would your reccomendations be?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    english language would definitely look good and if you want to get into a top law uni you'll have to sit the 'LNAT' test - so this would give you some advantage in that too.

also i think sociology goes pretty well with it. i did both and found there was a lot of overlapping stuff. this would probably be the same with psychology too.

basically any social sciences you're interested in and english would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am also studying GCSEs (Year 11), however; I have asked this question to many colleges before and so have quite a clear understanding of it

Law is extremely interesting at A-Level, but if you wish to study it at uni, then that may not be the best idea. They prefer you to have not taken it before due to the fact that A-Level Law is quite different to what it is like at uni.

I would say that, if you really want to study it at college, then go for it! But if you're only taking it because you want to study it at uni, then maybe re-think your options. (Don't worry, I am still deciding whether or not to take it!) Also, look at the entry requirements for the uni and course you want to take; that will also help.

Hope this helps!

(By the way, of course you'll be able to get into the top universities!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira-mai)
    Right so I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I am debating what a levels to take. I want to study law at a top university - Oxbridge/ KCL ( by know means do I think I will be able to get into them - they are just my aspirations) but I don't know what a levels to take.
    I was thinking law. Psychology, sociology and history but I've heard a lot about 'facilitating' subjects. What would your reccomendations be?
    Thanks
    KLC is not really the "top" uni for law (it is very, very good though). The top 3 for law are Oxford, Cambridge and Durham

I did Law at my A-levels and it was fine. Some unis don't accept law as an A-level if you are applying for a law course at that uni, so check this before you grab that Law A-level (just have a rough idea of which unis you would like to go and check their websites to see if they accept law as an A-level (most normally do)).

Sociology is dead easy (my friend skipped/slept most lessons and came out with an A... ) I chose Law, English lang+lit, Maths and Gov.+Politics as my A-levels and those subjects are very well respected by unis as well as people around you (at college I could get pretty much any job I applied for).

Your choices seem to be okay. If you have genuine interest in those subjects, I'd say - go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd reccomend English Literature over English Language just because its viewed as "more academic" at the "Top" Unis
    History would be extremely beneficial, as would Economics
    Anything very academic (Any of the sciences, Eng Lit, Maths)
    Social Sciences would be good - I'd personally reccomend Psychology over Sociology but its up to you and what you're interested in!

ReputationRep:
    English literature, history and a foreign language would be a good combination if you want to study law

ReputationRep:
    History and English Lit (Lang should be avoided unless your school only do Lit and Lang combined) would be perfect

A foreign language is useful, as is something like Philosophy, Politics or Law

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 13 and have applied for Law at top unis, at AS I did History, French, Maths, Bio and English Language, now I've dropped bio. Sociology and law are generally seen as 'soft' subjects (see LSE's list of preferred subjects) so I would recommend swapping those for maybe maths or a science/language

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies they have been very beneficial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira-mai)
    Right so I'm currently doing my GCSEs and I am debating what a levels to take. I want to study law at a top university - Oxbridge/ KCL ( by know means do I think I will be able to get into them - they are just my aspirations) but I don't know what a levels to take.
    Thanks
    Hello!
    My friend and I are currently in the same position you are, and we have an older friend that is taking Law in Oxford currently. For his A levels he took English Language/Lit, Sociology, History, Law.

It helps if you take subjects that allow you to pick from a variety of degrees e.g English Lang and History.

Good Luck, hope you do well in GCSE's.

Shahanne

ReputationRep:
    I always say you might want to do 2 of maths history and english literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.