The Student Room Group

EU graduate doing MRCP before FY1

Hi I'm currently studying medicine in Bucharest, 5th year. Unfortunately we graduate in november, after 6th year, which is really late. To add to that we have to wait 3 months for our graduation papers. During this time I will do a clinical attachment. Because we are granted full GMC registration, I will apply for locum FY1, then when August comes around either do LAT FY2 or apply to the deanery for an FY2 post (which ever yields the best result).

During this clinical attachment and the summer beforehand, I wanted to use this purgatory-like gap to study for the MRCP part 1. Preferably I would like to take it before or early in my FY1 post, is this feasible or even possible so early on?
Also is it bad idea to do the MRCP with little/no FY1 experience?
I don't think FY1 clinical experience would be very helpful for MRCP Part 1 anyway. It tests knowledge of weird and wonderful syndromes, rashes, and pathological findings which you are unlikely to encounter in your junior years as a doctor. Like all MCQ exams, it is really a measure of how many practice questions you have completed (and then read around the possible answers) on websites like PasTest and OnExamination.

Some people will tell you that you shouldn't complete professional exams too early but that's never made any sense to me. Why should it hurt to learn more about your subject before starting work? It will just mean you have a better knowledge base than your colleagues early on in your career.

The problem you will encounter is that you are supposed to have 12 months employment as a doctor to be eligible to sit MRCP Part 1. I don't know what evidence they ask for (I sat Part 1 a few years ago) and/or whether this requirement would be overlooked if you just applied anyway. In any event there's no reason why you shouldn't study hard during FY1 and then sit Part 1 as soon as your 12 months are finished.
Reply 2
Thank you Montecristo, I agree I can't see the harm in it.

I was unaware that 12 months experience was required. I will contact them and see if there are any exceptions to this. The reason we get full GMC registration is due to our internship year (basically an extra 6 months of university to sit an exit exam) maybe the same applies to the MRCP. I hope so anyway.
You could contact them or just look at the application process to see whether you would need to provide evidence or a dishonest declaration of experience. If neither, perhaps it's just worth applying to sit the exam and treating the information on their website as guidance...

Once you ask, you are bound by what they tell you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending