Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on the following question 19a)

I have to find how long the car is accelerating for however I have two unknowns whenever I try make a suvat equation, I only know
    a = 1.5
    u = 0
    I don't know anything else for that time interval
    The distance i'm giving is overall, not that for time period, and the time is overall also which doesn't help, how can I answer this question?

ReputationRep:
    Right, i do edexcel maths but i still know how to answer this!
    I think perhaps drawing a velocity time/ distance graph could help. To visualise t, and create a formula. (Im speaking crap right now, but thinking lol)
    I feel like you are going to calculate the area underneath your graph, distance travelled. Axes are velocity on y, time on x. Use the trapezium formula

I feel like id write something like...
    1.5T +v(30-T) =313
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Don't worry about the trapezium rule, but yes, a diagram and the distances are key here.

Some ideas for your diagram: If it's accelerating for T seconds out of 30, how long is it going at constant velocity for?

What's the distance travelled while it's accelerating in terms of T? How about for the second part of the journey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Don't worry about the trapezium rule, but yes, a diagram and the distances are key here.

Some ideas for your diagram: If it's accelerating for T seconds out of 30, how long is it going at constant velocity for?

What's the distance travelled while it's accelerating in terms of T? How about for the second part of the journey?
    the only thing I know to put on a velocity time graph is 30 seconds, there isn't enough data for me to do it that way
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Sayless)
    the only thing I know to put on a velocity time graph is 30 seconds, there isn't enough data for me to do it that way
    There is. An acceleration of 1.5 m/s^2 means that every second the velocity has increased by 1.5 m/s (try it with v = u+at) and that goes on for T seconds.. and then whatever velocity it ends up at, it stays that way until the end of the time.

ReputationRep:
    There is. An acceleration of 1.5 m/s^2 means that every second the velocity has increased by 1.5 m/s (try it with v = u+at) and that goes on for T seconds.. and then whatever velocity it ends up at, it stays that way until the end of the time.
    I got v = 1.5T
    then i used s= 1/2(u+v)t
    I got 312 = 1/2(1.5T+1.5T) x (30-T)
    312 = (1.5t)(30-t)
    312 = 45T - 1.5T^2
    1.5T^2 - 45T - 312 = 0
    T^2 - 30T - 208 = 0
    I don't know what to do next I can't factorise this
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm stuck on the following question 19a)

I have to find how long the car is accelerating for however I have two unknowns whenever I try make a suvat equation, I only know
    a = 1.5
    u = 0
    I don't know anything else for that time interval
    The distance i'm giving is overall, not that for time period, and the time is overall also which doesn't help, how can I answer this question?
    s=ut+\frac{at^2}{2}

Using that equation, the distance the car accelerates over is s=\frac{1.5T^2}{2}

speed = distance/time

Using that, you can find v=\frac{312-s}{30-T}

t=\frac{v-u}{a}

So:

30=\frac{(\frac{312-(\frac{1.5T^2}{2})}{30-T})}{1.5}

That's my thinking

EDIT: with the correction it should simplify like so:

45=\frac{312-0.75T^2}{30-T}

meaning

45(30-T)=312-0.75T^2

Expanding

1350-45T=312-0.75T^2

Rearranging

\frac{3T^2}{4} - 45T + 1038=0

Getting rid of the fraction

12T^2 - 180T + 4152 =0

12(T^2 - 15T + 346) =0

T^2 - 15T+346=0

Is that the same quadratic?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I got v = 1.5T
    then i used s= 1/2(u+v)t
    312 = (1.5t)(30-t)
    312 = 45T - 1.5T^2
    1.5T^2 - 45T - 312 = 0
    T^2 - 30T - 208 = 0
    Quadratic formula maybe?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    312 is not equal to what you've written there, though your calculation is correct for part of the distance.

The vehicle also covers some distance while it is accelerating, and from your diagram you can see that it's a neat triangle, and use what you know about the area of a velocity-time graph.

I got v = 1.5T
    then i used s= 1/2(u+v)t
    312 = (1.5t)(30-t)
    312 = 45T - 1.5T^2
    1.5T^2 - 45T - 312 = 0
    T^2 - 30T - 208 = 0

ReputationRep:
    312 is not equal to what you've written there, though your calculation is correct for part of the distance.

The vehicle also covers some distance while it is accelerating, and from your diagram you can see that it's a neat triangle, and use what you know about the area of a velocity-time graph.
    okay i did 1.5T^2 / 2 +1.5T(30-T)=312
    got T^2 - 60 + 208 = 0
    got T = 56.3 or T = 3.69 which are both wrong
    i have no idea what i'm doing
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Out of curiosity, would my method work?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    okay i did 1.5T^2 / 2 +1.5T(30-T)=312
    got T^2 - 60 + 208 = 0
    got T = 56.3 or T = 3.69 which are both wrong
    i have no idea what i'm doing
    In your working you have skipped a few steps, but when you multiplied everything by 4/3 you got from 0.75T^2 to 1T^2, -45T to -60T (both increases) but 312 to 208 (decrease).

But the important thing is do you understand the method you're using and what it's finding out?

ReputationRep:
    In your working you have skipped a few steps, but when you multiplied everything by 4/3 you got from 0.75T^2 to 1T^2, -45T to -60T (both increases) but 312 to 208 (decrease).

But the important thing is do you understand the method you're using and what it's finding out?
    got the right answer now
    yeah i think so, im basically using v= 1.5T and using the time in terms of T and 30 seconds on the velocity time graph to find the area of the graph to work out the distnace,
    so 1.5T^2 / 2 is distance of accelerating and 1.5T(30-T) is the distance of constant speed and the total distance is 312 so make it all = to 312 then make it = to 0, then make a quadratic equation to get 2 values, then eliminate the one higher than 30
    thanks! I think I got it now
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Andy98)
    s=ut+\frac{at^2}{2}

Using that equation, the distance the car accelerates over is s=\frac{1.5T^2}{2}

speed = distance/time

Using that, you can find v=\frac{312-s}{30}

t=\frac{v-u}{a}

So:

30=\frac{(\frac{312-(\frac{1.5T^2}{2})}{30})}{1.5}

That's my thinking
    For the 'v' bit from the numerator you're calculating the distance travelled when the velocity is constant, but this happens for (30-T) seconds rather than 30.

As for what follows I can't fully follow what you're doing, like what the t is or how you get the equation after that. But if you get the correct quadratic you've done it right.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    got the right answer now
    yeah i think so, im basically using v= 1.5T and using the time in terms of T and 30 seconds on the velocity time graph to find the area of the graph to work out the distnace,
    so 1.5T^2 / 2 is distance of accelerating and 1.5T(30-T) is the distance of constant speed and the total distance is 312 so make it all = to 312 then make it = to 0, then make a quadratic equation to get 2 values, then eliminate the one higher than 30
    Well done :borat:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    For the 'v' bit from the numerator you're calculating the distance travelled when the velocity is constant, but this happens for (30-T) seconds rather than 30.

As for what follows I can't fully follow what you're doing, like what the t is or how you get the equation after that. But if you get the correct quadratic you've done it right.
    Oops

got the right answer now
    Yup. That's it.

s=ut+\frac{at^2}{2}

speed = distance/time

Using that, you can find v=\frac{312-s}{30-T}

t=\frac{v-u}{a}

So:

30=\frac{(\frac{312-(\frac{1.5T^2}{2})}{30-T})}{1.5}

That's my thinking

EDIT: with the correction it should simplify like so:

45=\frac{312-0.75T^2}{30-T}

meaning

45(30-T)=312-0.75T^2

Expanding

1350-45T=312-0.75T^2

Rearranging

\frac{3T^2}{4} - 45T + 1038=0

Getting rid of the fraction

12T^2 - 180T + 4152 =0

12(T^2 - 15T + 346) =0

T^2 - 15T+346=0

Is that the same quadratic?
    It's definitely not that quadratic.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Marxist)
    It's definitely not that quadratic.
    Darn

Darn
    You should have two of the same displacements for the time T, you set them equal to each other to get V in terms of T, which is and then sub in to the two equations. Adding them together you get the quadratic

therefore

once we've solved the equation(the other value of T is discarded, of course).
    Attached Images

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.