Turn on thread page Beta

I've started talking to a guy... He seems like a gentleman, very respectful and polite etc, different to the majority of guys I have ever liked! He rows and also plays polo, and is extremely well spoken. I can't help but feel inferior to him already... I actually don't see myself as that intelligent - I'm a mature student (early 20's) studying an Arts subject at a RG uni, but I have to work very hard as I wouldn't say I'm naturally smart. My family are financially stable however but I still can't help but compare - I want to be able to drop it but I feel that I have to be a certain way to impress him as I feel insecure. I guess I just need to know how to overcome this feeling & if anyone has any similar experiences.. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, in all honesty background shouldn't matter. In comparison to my boyfriend I'm not very well off whereas his family are quite the opposite - frequent holidays in Malaysia, Iceland etc. But I found out that it doesn't really matter, it's personality that counts and if he gets to know the real you it will be so much easier later on - you can't keep up a fake personality forever

Thanks feel better about it already

ReputationRep:
    He's shown interest in you, thats all you need to know

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't compare yourself to a potential partner, relationships aren't about who is better. They're about how you compliment each other and make each other happy.

ReputationRep:
    There are studies which actually suggest that many men don't like women being smarter or wealthier than them. I think this has something to do with an image of manliness. So you got no need to worry. Anyway, it is probably safe to say he already recognized that he is a bit "posher" than you. I think when you are "upper class" you can identify other upper class people quiet fast. So you should not try to fake anything, it is just not authentic. The most important thing here is that he seems to be mutually interested in talking to you, so he obviously does not care about whatever background you have but likes you as a person, which is great. Don't worry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.