Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Funding Stepped Up To Curb Spread Of Islam: Welt

By Khaled Schmitt, IOL Correspondent

BERLIN, May 31 (IslamOnline.net) – A German paper reported that the Vatican has been pumping huge amounts of funds into a very influential institution of the Catholic Church to halt the spread of Islam across the world.

In a report headlined "A million against Muhammad" Welt am Sonntag said Sunday, May 30, that huge amounts of money will be allotted to the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, a reportedly secret organization.

The report, prepared by Andreas Englisch, said the organization is now mainly concerned with stemming the rising reversion to Islam by tarnishing the image of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

The Rome-based organization, ostensibly directed to study the relation between Islam and Christianity, is the only international body working for fueling tension between followers of the two faiths, it added.

The paper said the organization is getting a wide support from world governments and decision-makers to help it further promote Catholicism, proselytization and carry out statistics and comparison studies on the spread of Islam and Christianity in the world.

This marks a change of perception towards the group, which had been ignored, with Foreign Ministers declining to meet its representatives since its establishment by Pope Pius VI in 1966-1572, it added.

The pope had wanted to use the congregation for spreading Catholicism and proselytize other peoples in new methods, the paper said.

Merciless

The German newspaper said that the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples depend on "merciless" administrative methods for its work, the same the publication likened to those used by army soldiers.

It cited the congregation's prefect Crescenzio Sepe calling the members of the organization as "my soldiers".

The word was not uttered randomly, but rather with a significance of the work of the organization, the paper said, noting that the congregation directly supervises 1,081 dioceses secretly working in countries that ban Catholic activities.

The publication named Saudi Arabia, Yemen, China, Vietnam and Cambodia as some of these countries, saying that 40 per cent of Christians support the organization's activities across the world.

It said that 85,000 bishops and priests and 450,000 administrative workers, all have helped prepare 65,000 priests in 280 courses made over last years.

Serving this huge number of staffers is "another army" comprising one million ordinary people, with each earning 30 dollars as a basic monthly pay in return for moving across towns and villages for proselytizing the poor and marginalized, the paper averred.

The organization has also a large infrastructure, including 42,000 schools, 1,600 hospitals, 6,000 first-aid medical centers and 780 others for treating cases inflicted with hepatitis, and 12,000 offices for helping the poor and needy, the paper said.

Qatar Inauguration

Welt am Sonntag gave an extensive account of the organization's schools in Asia and Africa, ways which the paper said are the best for proselytizing and spreading Catholicism.

The paper said that Cardinal Sepe inaugurated one of these schools last week in Doha, Qatar, with 4,000 students a third of whom are Christians.

Sepe, who staged the celebration of John Paul’s 50th anniversary as a priest in 1996, then said that the school is mainly introducing to students a high-level education allowing them to be open minded and unaffected by the stigma on Christianity.

Unlike the Doha school, where forms of proselytizing are avoided in line with the Arab Gulf country's laws, other schools are built in Asian countries – especially India – clearly to turn pupils into Christians.

A lot of funds is given for the construction of these schools, but the money is deemed well-invested to pay off in ending the spread of Islam, said the paper.

The organization has a budget of 500 million dollars annually, mainly earmarked for proselytizing and stemming the conversion to Islam, the paper concluded.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/N...rticle09.shtml

The article in its original German:

http://www.wams.de/data/2004/05/30/284942.html

ReputationRep:
    If you want to discuss issues like this i strongly you suggest you keep to forums where the members are predominatly muslim

After reccieving negative rep on one of your previous threads i have toned down the language abit but i will go to explain why i think threads like this are bad.

I would point out on this issue is the fact that the article uses the term "A German paper reported", if the group were sure of the facts then i doubt they would put this in.

The 2nd thing is that such a naked exposure of religion to people is more likely to incite hate than anything else. You are feeding the BNP with these suggestions. People are going to be offenced more so by your previous effort to convert the forum to Islam, and hence look to groups that counter this precieved threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_World)
    Funding Stepped Up To Curb Spread Of Islam: Welt

By Khaled Schmitt, IOL Correspondent

BERLIN, May 31 (IslamOnline.net) – A German paper reported that the Vatican has been pumping huge amounts of funds into a very influential institution of the Catholic Church to halt the spread of Islam across the world.

In a report headlined "A million against Muhammad" Welt am Sonntag said Sunday, May 30, that huge amounts of money will be allotted to the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, a reportedly secret organization.

The report, prepared by Andreas Englisch, said the organization is now mainly concerned with stemming the rising reversion to Islam by tarnishing the image of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

The Rome-based organization, ostensibly directed to study the relation between Islam and Christianity, is the only international body working for fueling tension between followers of the two faiths, it added.

The paper said the organization is getting a wide support from world governments and decision-makers to help it further promote Catholicism, proselytization and carry out statistics and comparison studies on the spread of Islam and Christianity in the world.

This marks a change of perception towards the group, which had been ignored, with Foreign Ministers declining to meet its representatives since its establishment by Pope Pius VI in 1966-1572, it added.

The pope had wanted to use the congregation for spreading Catholicism and proselytize other peoples in new methods, the paper said.

Merciless

The German newspaper said that the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples depend on "merciless" administrative methods for its work, the same the publication likened to those used by army soldiers.

It cited the congregation's prefect Crescenzio Sepe calling the members of the organization as "my soldiers".

The word was not uttered randomly, but rather with a significance of the work of the organization, the paper said, noting that the congregation directly supervises 1,081 dioceses secretly working in countries that ban Catholic activities.

The publication named Saudi Arabia, Yemen, China, Vietnam and Cambodia as some of these countries, saying that 40 per cent of Christians support the organization's activities across the world.

It said that 85,000 bishops and priests and 450,000 administrative workers, all have helped prepare 65,000 priests in 280 courses made over last years.

Serving this huge number of staffers is "another army" comprising one million ordinary people, with each earning 30 dollars as a basic monthly pay in return for moving across towns and villages for proselytizing the poor and marginalized, the paper averred.

The organization has also a large infrastructure, including 42,000 schools, 1,600 hospitals, 6,000 first-aid medical centers and 780 others for treating cases inflicted with hepatitis, and 12,000 offices for helping the poor and needy, the paper said.

Qatar Inauguration

Welt am Sonntag gave an extensive account of the organization's schools in Asia and Africa, ways which the paper said are the best for proselytizing and spreading Catholicism.

The paper said that Cardinal Sepe inaugurated one of these schools last week in Doha, Qatar, with 4,000 students a third of whom are Christians.

Sepe, who staged the celebration of John Paul’s 50th anniversary as a priest in 1996, then said that the school is mainly introducing to students a high-level education allowing them to be open minded and unaffected by the stigma on Christianity.

Unlike the Doha school, where forms of proselytizing are avoided in line with the Arab Gulf country's laws, other schools are built in Asian countries – especially India – clearly to turn pupils into Christians.

A lot of funds is given for the construction of these schools, but the money is deemed well-invested to pay off in ending the spread of Islam, said the paper.

The organization has a budget of 500 million dollars annually, mainly earmarked for proselytizing and stemming the conversion to Islam, the paper concluded.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/N...rticle09.shtml

The article in its original German:

So one religion is actively competing with another religion.
    10/10 on the No ****? scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    If you want to discuss issues like this i strongly you suggest you keep to forums where the members are predominatly muslim
    I am sorry but your suggestion is flawed, those who are ''conspiring'' against Islam are NON MUSLIMS, so it is essential people know what's going on.

I would point out on this issue is the fact that the article uses the term "A German paper reported", if the group were sure of the facts then i doubt they would put this in.
    How about reading the original article in GERMAN ?

The 2nd thing is that such a naked exposure of religion to people is more likely to incite hate than anything else. You are feeding the BNP with these suggestions. People are going to be offenced more so by your previous effort to convert the forum to Islam, and hence look to groups that counter this precieved threat.
    I am not here to convert anyone, nor I am interested in attacking any other religion, I am here to defend Islam from haters and islamophobes.

Did you see me telling people you have to be muslim or you will go to hell ? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I am not here to convert anyone, nor I am interested in attacking any other religion, I am here to defend Islam from haters and islamophobes.
    A very quick look at your signature shows that this statement isn't true. The quote you have is very emphatically in support of Islam; the link in it is to a website viciously attacking Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    youre here to defend but there seems to be an awful lot of banal offence going on.
    if i lived 200 years ago i might be interested in what you have to s..copy and paste.

ReputationRep:
    Ok not a reply to the tread but a comment to Green_world. I Appreciate you are a Muslim and want to spread the good word, but the majority of people are aware of the religious options open to them and really don't want to listen to your preachings, if they did they could easily do some research and quote the web pages you just link to.
    You would earn youself more respect if you didn't just bad mouth other religions and post quotes from the bible which are totally out of context.
    I think I speak for many people when I ask yorself, and others like to accept that there will be other religions, but essentially we all live for the same moral code and worship the sam "greater being"
    I end with a quote from the Muslim Persian Poet Rumi "The lamps are different but the light is the same"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    A very quick look at your signature shows that this statement isn't true. The quote you have is very emphatically in support of Islam; the link in it is to a website viciously attacking Christianity.
    What is it with my signature ? does my signature tells you COVERT TO ISLAM OR YOU WILL GO TO HELL ?? :rolleyes:

As to my forum, do you think quoting and questioning the bible and christianity amounts to '' viciously attacking '' ???

Christian missionaries are invading the muslim world, they are allocating MILLIONS of Dollars to convert Muslims, our forum is humble attempt to spread awareness between muslims about christianity, we are trying to shield those muslims who dont know any thing about christianity and inform them about the bible, the man worshiping doctrine of christianity and their own religion, Islam.

You need to read the original post here, dont you think we muslims are offended by those christians and their intentions ??? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    What is it with my signature ? does my signature tells you COVERT TO ISLAM OR YOU WILL GO TO HELL ?? :rolleyes:
    That you do not say I will go to hell if I don't convert does not mean you are not promote Islam. That quote is emphatically doing so.

As to my forum, do you think quoting and questioning the bible and christianity amounts to '' viciously attacking '' ???
    Describing the founding event of Christianity (the crusifixion and Christ's resurrection) as "fiction" is viciously attacking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Ok not a reply to the tread but a comment to Green_world. I Appreciate you are a Muslim and want to spread the good word, but the majority of people are aware of the religious options open to them and really don't want to listen to your preachings,
    First you have to prove I am preaching !! did I tell you convert or you are in hell ? GIVE ME A BREAK... :rolleyes:

You would earn youself more respect if you didn't just bad mouth other religions and post quotes from the bible which are totally out of context.
    Actually, what I quote from the bible was CONTEXT in itself.

I think I speak for many people when I ask yorself, and others like to accept that there will be other religions, but essentially we all live for the same moral code and worship the sam "greater being"
    Nothing about the fact that christians are OFFENDING muslims by their efforts to convert them !! nothing about the ONE MILLION CHRISTIAN against Muhammad ? only criticism for trying to expose those christians !!

You are really so objective, I am so impressed ! :cool:

I end with a quote from the Muslim Persian Poet Rumi "The lamps are different but the light is the same"
    ''Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.''

- Winston Churchill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    youre here to defend but there seems to be an awful lot of banal offence going on.
    Will care to provide some examples ?

if i lived 200 years ago i might be interested in what you have to s..copy and paste.
    Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    On the forum you suggest, are you ahmad as he seems to be the only person who actaully posts on that forum?

ReputationRep:
    Relax yourself Green World, this kind of religous politics is just sad. What was the "Islam is officially the fastest growing religion" about, why do you want to "inform" everyone??

ReputationRep:
    First you have to prove I am preaching !! did I tell you convert or you are in hell ? GIVE ME A BREAK... :rolleyes:
    How about you giving us a break, all your discussion topics are one-sided "pro-islam" discussions saying how you are right and other religions are wrong, I ask that you stop copying and posting from other website trying to convert us, and generally say how other religions are wrong.

[QUOTE]Actually, what I quote from the bible was CONTEXT in itself.[QUOTE/]

Well, no. As someone who knows the bible very well I can say you convenienltly miss out fundamental parts of the quote, such as the introduction of the paragraphy, giving the wrong impression. This is the consequence of just pasting links from other sites.

Nothing about the fact that christians are OFFENDING muslims by their efforts to convert them !! nothing about the ONE MILLION CHRISTIAN against Muhammad ? only criticism for trying to expose those christians !!
    And muslims never try to convert chirstians? You can just look at the events in the past years to see how muslims have taken drastic measure just to kill christians. If a religion gets offended by someone questioning its validity then this highlights how weak it is. Surely you should be strengthened by people questioning it, not offended!

The thing you do not seem to be able to comprehend is that we live in a Chrsitian country, and as a result most will be Christian. People know about Islam and what it offers but you will have to accept that many people do not like the relgion, or dislinke religion in general.
    You really need to accept that people are different.

ReputationRep:
    I think that this article if true is a good topic to debate. Maybe we should open it up a bit more to weather one religious group should legally be allowed to pump loads of money into discrediting another religion. Surely in cirtian situation this could insite religious hatred. I worries me that people just dismiss this topic because I think it does bring up an interesting point.

So what do people think. Should one religious group be allowed to try and publically discredit another with the goal of promoting itself especially when we are talking about a high status figure like the pope. And could he be charged with inciting racial hatred for his actions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think that this article if true is a good topic to debate. Maybe we should open it up a bit more to weather one religious group should legally be allowed to pump loads of money into discrediting another religion. Surely in cirtian situation this could insite religious hatred. I worries me that people just dismiss this topic because I think it does bring up an interesting point.

So what do people think. Should one religious group be allowed to try and publically discredit another with the goal of promoting itself especially when we are talking about a high status figure like the pope. And could he be charged with inciting racial hatred for his actions?
    Yes. This is what certain religions do - they try to spread their message to other people. Islam and Christianity are two prominent examples of evangelical religions, and they operate in many of the same areas. It is scarcely surprising that they are in conflict. Nor is it particularly shocking the Vatican is funding its own supporters in this conflict.

ReputationRep:

what about posting propaganda threads like "Islam is officially the fastest growing religion on earth" is that just as bad??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Yes. This is what certain religions do - they try to spread their message to other people. Islam and Christianity are two prominent examples of evangelical religions, and they operate in many of the same areas. It is scarcely surprising that they are in conflict. Nor is it particularly shocking the Vatican is funding its own supporters in this conflict.
    True but a million pounds is a lot of money for them to put into it when it could be spent on much better things. The catholic church aren't exactly spreading a good message at the moment. There actions in Africa and south America are appaling in my oppinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    what about posting propaganda threads like "Islam is officially the fastest growing religion on earth" is that just as bad??
    1) It is the fastest growing religion in the world. Yes the thread wasn't exactly the best idea but it did state facts.

2) There is a slight difference between a member posting it on this forum and the catholic church paying a lot of money to have Islam discredited.

ReputationRep:
    1) It is the fastest growing religion in the world. Yes the thread wasn't exactly the best idea but it did state facts.

2) There is a slight difference between a member posting it on this forum and the catholic church paying a lot of money to have Islam discredited.
    Has he come up with any evidence to support his claim that the Catholic church is trying to discredit Islam?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.