Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Panic....can we afford uni! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My second son is hoping to go to uni this year.....my eldest has just started. He lives at home and commutes. He is managing his money well. However my youngest will want to live onsite...i have done the estimate with student finance and what he will get will not even cover his accommodation.....am i missing something? I am getting rather worried as we certainly dont have spare £s to fund his living expenses. How does everyone do it??????

ReputationRep:
    Anyone help?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

All students' funding can either be income assessed or non income assessed. Parents can submit their income details to us to have the maximum funding available for students based on their income. Also depending on income students may be eligible for a bursary from their university/college.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mark

The problem ius he will only get about 4500....unfortunately this wont cover the accommodation and living costs....we dont have any spare money....we both work fulltime...and do overtime.....certainly dont have a wild lifestyle either! Hoiw do people do it? We have also been told the accommodation has to be paid befoire the loan comes in.....i am devastated that he wants to go but i cant pay foir him....there must be some help?????
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi,

All students funding can either be income assessed or non income assessed. Parents can submit there income details to us to have the maximum funding available for students based on there income. Also depending on income students may be eligible for a bursary from there university/college.

Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

We can only advise on the funding available from us. It may be worth posting elsewhere on the site where other students are more likely to reply to see if they can offer some other advice.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.