Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I withdrew from my university studies today and so I will be ringing Student Finance England tomorrow to let them know but I'm extremely worried about the financial side of this. I spoke to my student advice team and they mentioned that my loans will be paid back like they would if I'd graduated (so when I earn £21,000) but my grants will be asked for straight away. However, I've been looking around on the Internet for above and there's so many different things, some people have said id have to pay the £9000 out of my own pocket because the loan company won't give it to the uni once I've withdrawn (my student advice person mentioned something about 25%?) there is also threads that mention overpayments and I'm so confused and worried that I'm going to be asked for thousands of pounds worth of money that I don't have!

Anyone out there that can tell me what will actually happen with what I will and won't payback and when I will have to do this?

ReputationRep:
    Why did you drop out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Health and family reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay the 9 grand thing is a myth. Student finance don't pay the uni in one go anyway so you'll only pay back what they've paid to uni so far. This is after you earn over 21k

With the loans and the grants I'm pretty sure they calculate how much you need to pay hack now. For money you were entitled to until this point you pay back after 21k. For the money that was meant to last you between now and Christmas they ask for Immediately but they let you work out a payment plan if needed x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you say they want it back immediately, when is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charltaylor96)
    When you say they want it back immediately, when is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As soon as you can. They usually let you set up a payment plan... The minimum is five a month I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Okay the 9 grand thing is a myth. Student finance don't pay the uni in one go anyway so you'll only pay back what they've paid to uni so far. This is after you earn over 21k
    Not quite.

Yes, SF pay the uni in installments for tuition, so you will have to repay much less than £9000.

However...

When a student drops out mid-year, the uni has to return that portion of the tuition fee loan to SF. The ex-student therefore has to repay that amount to the university and not SF. There is no mechanism for recovering debt owed to a uni, from future wages. You will therefore need to arrange a repayment plan with the uni for that part of your tuition fee, in addition to the repayment plan with SF for the proportion of your maintenance funding owed after your leaving date.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.