x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello, my name is Hannah-244! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying... Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Use of Maths, English Literature, English Language, History, Spanish, Business Studies, Citizenship and the Algebra Award.

I'm interested in... ???????

My study level is... GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just joined today too. I'm also taking the 3 separate sciences and History for GCSEs and I've got my exams in the summer DX Also, I recognize most of those but what's the Algebra Award? I've never heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, yeah same with taking them all in summer, having fun revising? The Algebra Award isn't a GCSE but something extra 8 of us in my year are doing, its past GCSE level but not quite AS level.

ReputationRep:
    Huh. Must be a nice feeling knowing you're capable of going that little bit further, good job and good luck The biggest thing I've got going for me is that I might be doing Further Maths (AQA Maths Certificate Level 2 or something or other) but that's only if I do well in the mocks. If I don't I'll not be allowed to do them and have to focus on normal maths. If it comes to that I'll be glad in all honesty, it's horrible >.<

What are you studying in History? I'm doing AQA, currently in depth studies of the USA but in Year 10 it was all about the inter-war years that lead up to WW2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh_Ewe)
    Huh. Must be a nice feeling knowing you're capable of going that little bit further, good job and good luck The biggest thing I've got going for me is that I might be doing Further Maths (AQA Maths Certificate Level 2 or something or other) but that's only if I do well in the mocks. If I don't I'll not be allowed to do them and have to focus on normal maths. If it comes to that I'll be glad in all honesty, it's horrible >.<

What are you studying in History? I'm doing AQA, currently in depth studies of the USA but in Year 10 it was all about the inter-war years that lead up to WW2.
    Haha yeah I suppose it it, thanks I didn't know you could do Further Maths at GCSE, I thought it was just at A level so well done yourself Ohh why would you be glad? Surely its just good so that you have an extra GCSE?

OCR but yeah were doing the depth study on the USA as well, were starting the coursework in two weeks on prohibition. Ummm paper 1 is Treaty of Versailles, League of Nations or Road to war and paper 2 is either the Suffragettes, Liberal Reforms or Homefront.

What do you want to for A levels? Im kinda stuck on mine!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it is nice to have an extra GCSE, especially further maths. My cousin's boyfriend did it and got an A^ which I think means he's in the top 2% in the country? Problem is that it's a lot more work and it's waste of time if nothing comes from it, especially since those doing Further Maths only get one lesson a week and it's after school on a Thursday, so we had to opt-in - lots of revision at home. Obviously it was only those in the top maths set that were offered it. The thing is with extra GCSEs is that it doesn't automatically make you look better, it's the grades you earn so it might be better if I focus on fewer subjects than stress about loads in May.

We've just started learning about prohibition actually and how gangs like the Mafia and Al Capone made huge profits from it and why it was put in place. We go a snippet of the film The Untouchables to give us an idea of what it was like and it seems like a half decent film, I might have to watch it in my own time.
    I think our Paper 1 is the same as yours but I'm not too sure about Paper 2. I thought there would be more differences, but I think the exam boards ask the questions differently.

I'm not too sure what I want to do for A-levels, but I have some ideas on what I definitely don't want to do which does help, haha (History, Maths, ICT depending on what the course entails). I really enjoy English and I have a natural flair at it, working at an A* without doing much of anything outside of lessons (esp. English Language) and Biology (alhough I'm only at a B and I need at least a B to do it in the Sixth Form I want to go to) so I'm considering taking them as a subject, but I'm not too sure what to do for my third or fourth if I dare pick a fourth subject.

What sort of extra-curricular things do you do? I don't really do much of anything but my cousin does loads. When she was younger she did Irish Dancing and violin and at the moment she does ballet and some sort of circus thing and she's in the school netball team, It's ridiculous. The only thing I do is a creative writing club after school, NaNoWriMo every November and sometimes I bake.

(You can probably tell I enjoy English based on how much I write, makes answering six mark science questions a pain)

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, thats amazing. Is he at uni now? My sisters in her first year of university. Yeah I suppose but I had to do citizenship for an hour after school every week and I managed to get an A+ in it despite not showing up most of the time. Yeah I guess concentating on less is good but if you think you could get at least a B in it go for it!

Yeah weve done the basics on Al Capone but we haven't really covered it yet. Yeah I've heard of it, isn't Robert De Niro in it? Yeah it probably is the format of the question.

I think im feeling the exact same way towards A levels; I really have no idea what I want to do yet. I like maths but like you, I am definitely not taking history. Well done! Yeah same with English but I seem to be better at English Literature. Im working at A*s in both of them but the difference is the 2/3 courseworks we've done for literature so far are full marks (30/30 and 40/40). Yeah I love biology, what exam board do you use? A levels im unsure of as I dont want to limit any future choices so I need to make a new thread soon to figure them out. Do you attend a grammer school or comp?

Wow she did do a lot! I dont really do anything either, I just watch tv series Im in the Army Cadets and ive been there a year but I dont think im going to carry on for much longer. Aww I love to bake <3

Yeah I can tell but its nice to talk to someone new

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.