The Student Room Group

I want to do a maths degree but struggling with A-Levels

Currently I am doing Maths, Drama and Creative Media BTEC and was meant to be starting further maths next year and stay on for year 14 to complete my full A-level. However, I am struggling with the Maths A-Level due to missing bits in my GCSE maths because I had a lot of time off school due to CFS/ME. because of this I am no longer allowed to do F. Maths so what A-Level should I do to hep get a maths degree?
Original post by Itsthatjess
Currently I am doing Maths, Drama and Creative Media BTEC and was meant to be starting further maths next year and stay on for year 14 to complete my full A-level. However, I am struggling with the Maths A-Level due to missing bits in my GCSE maths because I had a lot of time off school due to CFS/ME. because of this I am no longer allowed to do F. Maths so what A-Level should I do to hep get a maths degree?

LOL!!! i am also like that
i also wanna do A level maths but i achieved a C grade and my sixth accept B so i retook it in november... i missed bits too coz at the beginning of year 10 i was in bottom set and then as my mocks come i achieved C grades and went up to other set and they were doing foundation too so then again i had mocks n went to set 2 from set 4 and started higher their maths in half of the year 11 and i pretty much missed higher tier topics that ment to b covered in year 10 but i was doing foundation... so in GCSEs i got a C so i retake maths last week and dunno the results yet.
i wanna b maths teacher too so thats why i retake maths and if ur career is related to maths then u have to have maths degree plus i have also take psychology (statistics can help as it contain some maths), health and social care so i can observe the teacher taking to students, i just had observation yesterday for Health and social care and also i have take ICT coz i think IT applies into every route
Reply 2

A maths A-level will get your foot in the door for most maths degrees.
Reply 3

Maths A level by itself is sufficient for most Maths degrees - it's only the really top unis where Further Maths is expected, and a lot of students don't have the opportunity to do FM anyway!

Bear in mind that Maths is an academic degree, so some other academic (preferably numerate) subject would be helpful for you - that could be a science like Physics, Chem or Bio, or it could be Economics, or even something like Accounting or Business depending on your interests and the requirements of your target unis. It would be a good idea to think about what subjects interest you AND what sort of unis you're aiming at in conjunction so you make a sensible decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest