Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started my AS levels this year and after I got 40% in a test My teacher told me that she doesn't think I can pass this years exam... I know what I got is horrendous believe me I was devastated to get so low after revising but anyway I thought I'd pick myself up and discuss it with my teacher . instead of helping she's completely discouraged me I feel stupid as hell. I got the impression she hates me now and I'm even more intimidated by her .what can I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaunghit)
    I started my AS levels this year and after I got 40% in a test My teacher told me that she doesn't think I can pass this years exam... I know what I got is horrendous believe me I was devastated to get so low after revising but anyway I thought I'd pick myself up and discuss it with my teacher . instead of helping she's completely discouraged me I feel stupid as hell. I got the impression she hates me now and I'm even more intimidated by her .what can I do?
    You cannot be discouraged if you really think you can do better. Do you have an idea of why you underperfomed?

ReputationRep:
    What can you do? Well..There really is only one thing you can do.

Prove them wrong. Stop whining on this thread and work your arse off for the rest of the year.

ReputationRep:
    bruh teachers say this everyday to everyone in 6th form - just get used to it and ignore them

ReputationRep:
    You've just started, low marks are expected. In my January mocks I got Us in a subject I went to get an A in in summer, so your marks now are definitely not reflective of how you're actually going to do.

Your teacher is an a**hole, ignore her and do your own thing, you don't need her.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was predicted all C's and D's for AS levels after my mocks, but that was because the year had only just started and I hadn't fully reached my potential which was to be completed throughout the year. i got all A's at the end, except for one class. I wouldn't get too upset cos of Mock exams.

ReputationRep:
    ur teacher doesn't know ur capability better than u do... so i would say IGNORE UR TEACHER
    and do ur best, don't let ur teacher come in ur way of success (if she discourages u)
    just workout ur revision technique and make revision cards, timetable and stick to it that might improve ur grade.... and yess don't test urself by doing past papers

ReputationRep:
    Oh! Not nice of her at all! She should be encouraging you and help you, that's her job! Don't you worry, if I was you I would just ignore her..don't even bother to start an argument with her. Just do your work and prove her wrong! Don't feel discouraged, you can do this. Teachers these days are horrible I know...but that shouldn't put you down, keep your head up always!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I know how you feel, I haven't done mocks yet but my teacher for one of my subjects (baring in mind I have two teachers for that subject and one is really nice) is discouraging me completely by saying I should go to a low ranking Uni to study screen writing as it is my chosen career choice but I want to study English at a decent University. I'd rather do a degree which gives me broadness and variety than a degree that limits me to one career choice. Honestly, don't worry. It's the start of the AS year and they can't expect A*s out of you, teachers moan all they like but they never even teach us properly or teach us how to write as an A Level student which I struggle on.

ReputationRep:
    The best teachers are the ones who push you. One of my A-level teachers told me told me getting an A from the position I was in was a very difficult task and has only been done by one person in the last few years, he even pulled out his dossier. From then on, I managed to get the highest grades in my class in every exam since (apart from the last A2 exam, because of extenuating circumstances which made me miss my A* but nvm that lol).

Mind you, this teacher was really good with me and we had mutual respect so I guess it could be different, but the purpose still stands. Use that as motivation.

ReputationRep:
    Back in the day when I was doing my A-Levels, one of my maths teachers told my dad that he didn't expect me to get higher than a D in the subject because I got E's and U's in my mock tests. Needless to say, my dad was very disappointed.

Got a B in the end.

Get some support from fellow students. Do they have a tutor system so the high grading students can give you a little bit extra help? Ask another teacher for help maybe?

Worked wonders for me, particularly as my best mate at the time was a bit of maths whiz so did a lot of studying with him and asked a lot of questions :yep:

ReputationRep:
    just change subjects - got CDDE in my first AS year because of biology and chemistry and a general lack of an understanding of how difficult a levels were
    then I switched, worked harder, and got A*AAC (that C should have been a B - ****ing bull**** exam board marking my A* down to a C for the sake of averaging)

ReputationRep:
    Thats really stupid of your teacher, telling you that youre going to fail is not going to help you, just try to prove them wrong and do the best that you can
    I had a mate who got about 15% in her Chemistry mock...then 9% in the resit and the teacher was still really positive about it

Lol it's November?

I got a C in a mock for physics last year a month before the exam, lols still ended up getting highest UMS in the year.

It's probably just you not revising enough for class tests don't you worry
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Prove them wrong.

I have a friend who was discouraged from doing Further Maths, having been told that he was not able enough to do it.

In Year 13 he took it up and got an A at AS as well as an offer from LSE for Economics.

ReputationRep:
    40% at this stage of the year means there's hope and something to build on. I can tell you that from experience.

I have never understood why people who don't want to help and encourage bother to be teachers. Sadly they don't seem to be a rarity but it still means they're letting you down in their role to be honest.

Is it an exam or coursework based A level. I had a bad experience at A level with a teacher who personally didn't like me and marked my coursework in line with that. If it is a coursework based subject I would consider dropping that course for something that is exams based so I could self teach. If I had my time again this is what I wish I did. It's not even about the grade but the way I was made to feel like a pathetic failure. I say this ten years afterwards.

So yeah, if your teacher is that bad I would recommend moving to another class and I don't care how extreme that sounds

ReputationRep:
    The jump from GCSE to AS is pretty huge but you have plenty of time to get to the level you need to be at, just keep working hard and you'll get there soon
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I was once told that too.

Got 4 A*s at A-level. That showed them.

ReputationRep:
    Teacher's always say crap like this, if you're naturally insensitive or just really stubborn it probably does fire you up, but lots of people at sixth form who care about their grades actually have a lot of anxiety and this does nothing to help them, quite the opposite in fact.

Even procrastination is a symptom of anxiety and perfectionism rather than laziness.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine how satisfying it could be on results day when she sees that you ACED your exam. Proof that ***** WRONG. YEAHHHHH.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.