Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I just checked the CIE 2017 AS/A level syllabus, and for math it said for the AS part that paper 1 is pure mathematics 1 and the 2. exam is one of the following:
    Mechanics1, pure mathematics 2 or probability and statistics 2.

Now my question is if can we choose from the 3 options for the 2. paper, or we have to prepare for all 3 and its chosen as random?

Regards,

EDIT:Or could someone just explain how many papers will i take in both AS and A, if i do them in 2 separate years. The syllabus was kind of confusing, now that i researced it a bit on the forums, someone was talking about 4AS and 2A papers, with C3 C4 or sth, i dont know...xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustANormalGuy)
    Hello!

I just checked the CIE 2017 AS/A level syllabus, and for math it said for the AS part that paper 1 is pure mathematics 1 and the 2. exam is one of the following:

Now my question is if can we choose from the 3 options for the 2. paper, or we have to prepare for all 3 and its chosen as random?

Regards,

EDIT:Or could someone just explain how many papers will i take in both AS and A, if i do them in 2 separate years. The syllabus was kind of confusing, now that i researced it a bit on the forums, someone was talking about 4AS and 2A papers, with C3 C4 or sth, i dont know...xD
    Ignore anything you read online, most of then are about AQA or Edexcel, not CIE.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Regards,

If you want to sit ONLY AS Mathematics with CIE and NOT AS + A-Level Mathematics with CIE then you need to 'prepare' for:

P1 and P2 OR
    P1 and P4 OR
    P1 and P6

you can choose which combination you want.

If you want to sit AS Mathematics in your first year and then A-Level mathematics in your second, you can choose between

First year:
    P1 and P4 OR
    P1 and P6

Second year:
    If taken P1 and P4 in first year then you can take:
    P3 and P6 OR
    P3 and P5

If taken P1 and P6 in first year then you can take:
    P3 and P4 OR
    P3 and P7

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    If you want to sit ONLY AS Mathematics with CIE and NOT AS + A-Level Mathematics with CIE then you need to 'prepare' for:

P1 and P2 OR
    P1 and P4 OR
    P1 and P6

you can choose which combination you want.

If you want to sit AS Mathematics in your first year and then A-Level mathematics in your second, you can choose between

First year:
    P1 and P4 OR
    P1 and P6

Second year:
    If taken P1 and P4 in first year then you can take:
    P3 and P6 OR
    P3 and P5

If taken P1 and P6 in first year then you can take:
    P3 and P4 OR
    P3 and P7

Hope that helps.

Yes,thanks a lot, i dont know why couldnt the syllabus be so clear..
    A last question, is there a deadline untill which i have to notify my school what i pick or i can choose on the exam day?

ReputationRep:
    Yes,thanks a lot, i dont know why couldnt the syllabus be so clear..
    A last question, is there a deadline untill which i have to notify my school what i pick or i can choose on the exam day?
    Depends on your school.

ReputationRep:
    You can only do P1-P3-M1-S1/P1-P3-M1-M2/P1-P3-S1-S2 for the full A-level for CIE Maths. P2 is only available to those pursuing an AS-level and not the full A-level (Also, it's Maths, not "math" ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    You can only do P1-P3-M1-S1/P1-P3-M1-M2/P1-P3-S1-S2 for the full A-level for CIE Maths. P2 is only available to those pursuing an AS-level and not the full A-level (Also, it Maths, not "math" ).
    So basically P1-P3 is a must in year 12, and i can choose from M1-S1/M1-M2/S1-S1 for year13?
    Sorry, my bad

ReputationRep:
    You can only do P1-P3-M1-S1/P1-P3-M1-M2/P1-P3-S1-S2 for the full A-level for CIE Maths. P2 is only available to those pursuing an AS-level and not the full A-level (Also, it Maths, not "math" ).
    Also, it's it's, not it.

ReputationRep:
    So basically P1-P3 is a must in year 12, and i can choose from M1-S1/M1-M2/S1-S1 for year13?
    Sorry, my bad
    It depends on how your college does it. P1 can be paired with either S1/M1 during AS while P3 is seen as an A2 module. You'd do another applied module you haven't done already along with it.

(Original post by morgan8002)
    Also, it's it's, not it.
    Thank you for the correction

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how your college does it. P1 can be paired with either S1/M1 during AS while P3 is seen as an A2 module. You'd do another applied module you haven't done already along with it.

Thank you for the correction
    Oh, alright, finally got it...xD
    So P1+S1 for AS and P3+S2 for A2 will be my choice, since im quite good in statistics, but i dont do that well in mechanics. I will contact my school and talk with them about it too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.