Turn on thread page Beta

Travel USA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have traveled all over the world and been to every one of the US states. I am from the USA and you guys can ask me anything.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!! Lucky you. Im a dreamer.. Wanna travel the world some day.. But not alone cuz im scared to. Being a Muslim girl who wears a scarf. Such a bummer, I know. Anyways... I wanna travel to LA, could you tell me how friendly/not friendly it may be for a Muslim lone traveller girl to go to the city of angels? I want to know, if I'd be fine travelling on my own? Will I get racist comments for wearing a hijab? Will I enjoy myself?

Thanks.. What countries have you travelled? XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShubKaii)
    Hey!! Lucky you. Im a dreamer.. Wanna travel the world some day.. But not alone cuz im scared to. Being a Muslim girl who wears a scarf. Such a bummer, I know. Anyways... I wanna travel to LA, could you tell me how friendly/not friendly it may be for a Muslim lone traveller girl to go to the city of angels? I want to know, if I'd be fine travelling on my own? Will I get racist comments for wearing a hijab? Will I enjoy myself?

Btw I'm 22, from England and got a mean Yorkshire accent. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    I have also been to America and worked at a summer camp. Have you ever considered working at a camp to earn money for your travels?

It's certainly beneficial for people who are desperate to travel but don't have anyone else you wants to join them. Working at a summer camp means you will meet so many people before you have even begun exploring and having fun. So my experience was pretty awesome, you can pick from arts & crafts, sports to more educational areas to teach - depending on your strengths. The benefits of working at a summer camp are endless. If you need persuading or perhaps your parents do just show them this: http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/...mp-infographic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShubKaii)

Hey ShubKaii, thanks for the post! You will be in in LA and wont get any racist comments people there are very accepting. Dont be scared to travel there alone, you will be fine. Now the countries I have been....I have been to: All of South Africa, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Germany, Russia, Costa Rica, Panama, Peru, Columbia, Ecuador, Mexico, Canada, Galapagos Islands, France, Spain, United Kingdom, Honduras and I probably forgot a bunch hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna live in LA, how hard is it going to be for me to get a living/working visa. I wanna go straight after Uni so I will have a degree.

ReputationRep:
    How can I live and work in the United States?The easiest way to explain how you can live and work in the U.S. is to give a summary of U.S. immigration law. This is the “big picture.” Once you see all of the possibilities, it can help you decide which option will work best for you.U.S. Immigration has two main categories: permanent residence visas (also called “immigrant visas” or “green cards”) and temporary residence visas (also called “nonimmigrant visas”).1. PERMANENT RESIDENT VISAS (GREEN CARDS)A permanent resident visa, or green card, is normally what people want, because it permits PERMANENT residence in the U.S. A person with a green card can generally live anywhere in the U.S. and can work for anyone without restriction. But, a green card is difficult to get.There are four main ways to get a green card:
    1. Family sponsored green cards
    2. Employment based green cards
    3. Green card lottery (diversity green card), and
    4. Political Asylum.
    To qualify for a family sponsored green card, you must have a very close relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card holder). Husbands and wives of U.S. citizens, parents of U.S. citizens, and children under the age of 21 of U.S. citizens (including step children) have top priority and can qualify for a green card relatively quickly.Other family members, such as husbands and wives of permanent residents, children over the age of 21 of U.S. citizens and permanent residents, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens can also qualify for family sponsored green cards. But, these family members must wait for a green card to be available (there are waiting lists), which can take anywhere from five to 15 years!Employment based green cards are often the best possibility for our clients. There are five types:
    • EB-1: for aliens with extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, or multinational business managers and executives.
    • EB-2: for aliens with exceptional ability or aliens with advanced degrees (employer/sponsor required)
    • EB-3: for professional workers (with university degree), skilled workers and unskilled workers (employer/sponsor required)
    • EB-4: for religious workers
    • EB-5: for aliens who invest $1 million and create 10 new full time jobs (in limited situations, an investment of $500,000 and the creation of 5 new jobs is acceptable).
    Processing times for employment based green card vary widely. An EB-1 or EB-5 application can be approved in less than 1 year. However, an EB-3 application could take more than 5 years.

The green card lottery (diversity green card) is a government program designed to increase immigration from countries that do not produce a large number of immigrants to the U.S. Only people born in certain countries can qualify (for example, people born in Canada, Mexico, England, India, China, and the Philippines can not participate).

Each year the government selects 100,000 winners for 50,000-55,000 green cards. The government assumes that some winners will not qualify. The time to enter the green card lottery changes every year, but it is usually between October and December. For more information, see the government's Diversity Immigrant Visa Program.

Our firm does not handle applications for political asylum or refugee status. However, this is one way to qualify for a green card. To qualify, an applicant must prove he or she has been persecuted in the past or has a well founded fear of persecution in his or her home country based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. Asylum applicants may apply for asylum even if he or she entered the U.S. illegally or if he or she is in the U.S. on an expired visa/I-94. Generally, asylum applicants must apply for asylum within one year of their arrival in the U.S. but there are several exceptions which will allow the filing of an asylum application after one year.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.