The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me understand university courses?

In school the only subject that i'm most interested in is History, I will do it at A level along with some other subjects. What i dont understand is at uni, do you choose a specific course for a certain career (E.G dentistry degree obviously gets you to dentistry industry) or can you get a lot of jobs as well with courses like ''history'' ''geography'' ''IT'' degree?

My friend said, at uni if you ''get a history degree but want to do law, you'll have do another specfic degree for law'' what...i got no one in school that can explain what i want to know, anyone care to explain :smile: btw i have no idea what specific jobs i want in the future, so i really need to keep it open :biggrin:
70% of graduate jobs in the UK are willing to accept people with a degree in any subject. The remaining 30% jobs are ones like dentistry, architecture, engineering and nursing, where you need a specific qualification for the job.

This means that most jobs are still open to you with a geography / history / IT degree. For instance, I did a politics degree and now I'm employed in a good graduate job in a completely different sector. Do bear in mind that there are a lot of degrees that sound a bit like they might be required to work in that sector, but actually you could go into that career with a degree in any subject e.g. journalism, accounting. events management, marketing.

You don't need a law degree to become a lawyer. So, if you did a history degree, you'd need to do a one year GDL, which then gets you to the same point as someone who did a law degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
70% of graduate jobs in the UK are willing to accept people with a degree in any subject. The remaining 30% jobs are ones like dentistry, architecture, engineering and nursing, where you need a specific qualification for the job.

This means that most jobs are still open to you with a geography / history / IT degree. For instance, I did a politics degree and now I'm employed in a good graduate job in a completely different sector. Do bear in mind that there are a lot of degrees that sound a bit like they might be required to work in that sector, but actually you could go into that career with a degree in any subject e.g. journalism, accounting. events management, marketing.

You don't need a law degree to become a lawyer. So, if you did a history degree, you'd need to do a one year GDL, which then gets you to the same point as someone who did a law degree.

aw thanks, that's really helpful :smile:
No problem :smile: Have you got any more questions?
Reply 4
No problem :smile: Have you got any more questions?

so if i want to go into a job that requires more than a ''history degree'' i'd have to do another course for that right?
It depends on the career area. Many jobs in areas that aren't related to history won't require any additional studying. To stick with the examples I used earlier, this would apply to marketing and events management, for instance.

Some career areas will require a bit of extra studying, e.g. journalism would require an NUJ qualification, and accounting would require an ACCA qualification (though sometimes it is possible to get these qualifications on the job). Similarly, teaching would require a PGCE / Teach First / Schools Direct, and being a solicitor / barrister requires a GDL followed by a :LPC and training contract or BPTC and pupillage.

Have you got any particular career areas that you've thought about, even if you're not certain about which path you want to take?
That's right! Or at least more experience, in the case of software engineering jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
It depends on the career area. Many jobs in areas that aren't related to history won't require any additional studying. To stick with the examples I used earlier, this would apply to marketing and events management, for instance.

Some career areas will require a bit of extra studying, e.g. journalism would require an NUJ qualification, and accounting would require an ACCA qualification (though sometimes it is possible to get these qualifications on the job). Similarly, teaching would require a PGCE / Teach First / Schools Direct, and being a solicitor / barrister requires a GDL followed by a :LPC and training contract or BPTC and pupillage.

Have you got any particular career areas that you've thought about, even if you're not certain about which path you want to take?

I really dont like jobs like office where i just do paper work. i dont mind being in museums, i do like the sound of managing a shop...i really have limited ideas because there's not many jobs being shown to me, it would be useful if school provide us with a careers list

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending