Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can anyone help me understand university courses? watch

    • Political Ambassador
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In school the only subject that i'm most interested in is History, I will do it at A level along with some other subjects. What i dont understand is at uni, do you choose a specific course for a certain career (E.G dentistry degree obviously gets you to dentistry industry) or can you get a lot of jobs as well with courses like ''history'' ''geography'' ''IT'' degree?

    My friend said, at uni if you ''get a history degree but want to do law, you'll have do another specfic degree for law'' what...i got no one in school that can explain what i want to know, anyone care to explain btw i have no idea what specific jobs i want in the future, so i really need to keep it open
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    In school the only subject that i'm most interested in is History, I will do it at A level along with some other subjects. What i dont understand is at uni, do you choose a specific course for a certain career (E.G dentistry degree obviously gets you to dentistry industry) or can you get a lot of jobs as well with courses like ''history'' ''geography'' ''IT'' degree?

    My friend said, at uni if you ''get a history degree but want to do law, you'll have do another specfic degree for law'' what...i got no one in school that can explain what i want to know, anyone care to explain btw i have no idea what specific jobs i want in the future, so i really need to keep it open
    70% of graduate jobs in the UK are willing to accept people with a degree in any subject. The remaining 30% jobs are ones like dentistry, architecture, engineering and nursing, where you need a specific qualification for the job.

    This means that most jobs are still open to you with a geography / history / IT degree. For instance, I did a politics degree and now I'm employed in a good graduate job in a completely different sector. Do bear in mind that there are a lot of degrees that sound a bit like they might be required to work in that sector, but actually you could go into that career with a degree in any subject e.g. journalism, accounting. events management, marketing.

    You don't need a law degree to become a lawyer. So, if you did a history degree, you'd need to do a one year GDL, which then gets you to the same point as someone who did a law degree.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    70% of graduate jobs in the UK are willing to accept people with a degree in any subject. The remaining 30% jobs are ones like dentistry, architecture, engineering and nursing, where you need a specific qualification for the job.

    This means that most jobs are still open to you with a geography / history / IT degree. For instance, I did a politics degree and now I'm employed in a good graduate job in a completely different sector. Do bear in mind that there are a lot of degrees that sound a bit like they might be required to work in that sector, but actually you could go into that career with a degree in any subject e.g. journalism, accounting. events management, marketing.

    You don't need a law degree to become a lawyer. So, if you did a history degree, you'd need to do a one year GDL, which then gets you to the same point as someone who did a law degree.
    aw thanks, that's really helpful
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    aw thanks, that's really helpful
    No problem Have you got any more questions?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    No problem Have you got any more questions?
    so if i want to go into a job that requires more than a ''history degree'' i'd have to do another course for that right?
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    so if i want to go into a job that requires more than a ''history degree'' i'd have to do another course for that right?
    It depends on the career area. Many jobs in areas that aren't related to history won't require any additional studying. To stick with the examples I used earlier, this would apply to marketing and events management, for instance.

    Some career areas will require a bit of extra studying, e.g. journalism would require an NUJ qualification, and accounting would require an ACCA qualification (though sometimes it is possible to get these qualifications on the job). Similarly, teaching would require a PGCE / Teach First / Schools Direct, and being a solicitor / barrister requires a GDL followed by a :LPC and training contract or BPTC and pupillage.

    Have you got any particular career areas that you've thought about, even if you're not certain about which path you want to take?
    • TSR Support Team
    Online

    21
    ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    so if i want to go into a job that requires more than a ''history degree'' i'd have to do another course for that right?
    That's right! Or at least more experience, in the case of software engineering jobs.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    It depends on the career area. Many jobs in areas that aren't related to history won't require any additional studying. To stick with the examples I used earlier, this would apply to marketing and events management, for instance.

    Some career areas will require a bit of extra studying, e.g. journalism would require an NUJ qualification, and accounting would require an ACCA qualification (though sometimes it is possible to get these qualifications on the job). Similarly, teaching would require a PGCE / Teach First / Schools Direct, and being a solicitor / barrister requires a GDL followed by a :LPC and training contract or BPTC and pupillage.

    Have you got any particular career areas that you've thought about, even if you're not certain about which path you want to take?
    I really dont like jobs like office where i just do paper work. i dont mind being in museums, i do like the sound of managing a shop...i really have limited ideas because there's not many jobs being shown to me, it would be useful if school provide us with a careers list
 
 
 
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.