The Student Room Group

Music Dissertation Topic

Currently starting my dissertation work but hit a brick wall in terms of a topic/research question. I've seeked help from my tutors, however I think that confused things even more...

I'm looking at going into the field of education/psychology, leaning more towards education though. I originally came up with a topic which was "The benefits of learnig an instrument at an early age", which is a strong topic but will be difficult to conduct any primary research and link it into my practical project.

I definitely want to link my paper with teaching, but if I were to have a secondary point of interest it would be classical guitar.

sorry to be brief, but thanks in advance for any suggestions.
It would be good to go through a dissertation database to see if others have written on the topic. ProQuest is one that your library should have. And also just asking a librarian is a great way to find out what has been done before.

Also, you might want to drill down deeper to a specific benefit. "Benefits" is probably going to be too broad. But if you can nail just one to discuss, that will give you a lot of material to research between that benefit and music. And if you can find comparisons between ages, all the better.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending