Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you divorce your wife if you found out she lied about her partner count? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would.

ReputationRep:
    This thread just screams 'I have never had a girlfriend'.

ReputationRep:
    Well sometimes people just don't remember all their partners.

You can't expect people to have supernatural memory and just recall photographically ultra quickly, it isn't fair!

She might just have had like a handful of secret ones, a couple that she meets at clubs, 5 others from work, a dozen for special occasions, some for religious regions, several others for when she gets bored and..wait, yeah, divorce defo then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    This thread just screams 'I have never had a girlfriend'.
    It's always girls who go on and on about "trust" being important in a relationship. Well, if my wife lied like this, I'd take the advice... and dump her.

ReputationRep:
    If she had sex with her previous partners i wouldnt leave her but i would lose some trust of her.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    It's always girls who go on and on about "trust" being important in a relationship. Well, if my wife lied like this, I'd take the advice... and dump her.
    These feminist.... I tell ya....Full of double standards and hypocrisy.....

ReputationRep:
    That's a weird thing to lie about, how exactly would I have ended up married to somebody who's clearly a bit of a mong?

In the unlikely event of me ending up in this situation, no I would not divorce. I'd find out the reason for lying cuz I cannot find a rational reason for it, it'd be interesting to see.

Actually more to the point, why would I have been asking about their previous partners in the first place? God I do not identify with this hypothetical scenario at all...

ReputationRep:
    No, that would be such a petty and ridiculous thing to get a divorce over.

In any case, I hope that my future wife has no reason to lie to me about that as I couldn't care less about her previous partner count. This isn't the 15th century where my wife has to be a chaste virgin before matrimony.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if its before or after marriage.

ReputationRep:
    I would bridle at the knowledge; not because I could frankly give any less of a s**t about something so inconsequential as a "partner count", but rather because my wife would have undermined my autonomy by dissembling information whose potential significance concerning her suitability as a partner was for me to decide.

ReputationRep:
    No, but if she lied about her post count...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I would bridle at the knowledge; not because I could frankly give any less of a s**t about something so inconsequential as a "partner count", but rather because my wife would have undermined my autonomy by dissembling information whose potential significance concerning her suitability as a partner was for me to decide.
    possibly the most studentroom esque response in history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    No, that would be such a petty and ridiculous thing to get a divorce over.

In any case, I hope that my future wife has no reason to lie to me about that as I couldn't care less about her previous partner count. This isn't the 15th century where my wife has to be a chaste virgin before matrimony.
    Well that's your preference.

What if I made it clear to her before the marriage that it was important to me?

She lied ffs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samt98)
    possibly the most studentroom esque response in history
    Why thank you, person ostensibly born only three years before this website came into existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    No, but if she lied about her post count...
    That would be unforgivable.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for someone to go to the lawyer being like "my wife said she slept with 6 guys before meeting me, turns out she slept with 9, I want a divorce."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    She lied ffs!
    The question sounds hypothetical, but you seem to be quite agitated. Has this happened to you?

I wouldn't divorce them, they're still the same person but with more partners prior to the relationship. If none of them had been within the time of our relationship I know I'd be upset that they'd lied but I'd get over it soon after, I'm sure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The more upset you are about anyone's 'number', the more they are likely to lie to you.

ReputationRep:
    As long as they are not with one of those partners at the same time as you are with them I wouldnt. You're still with the exact same person as you were before and nothing but a number has changed

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.