Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's your doubt about City Internship programme? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University, 2011, with a major in Multimedia Computing and unfortunately, I do not wish to describe my learning disability, I came out with a lower second. I have been pursuing a career in ICT-related fields (web design/development, multimedia developer, animations, 3D modelling, games, app/design/development) for a while. Most industries require at least few years of solid experience for junior level; I wasn't lucky to past the interviews because I am being too honest giving answers which they don't like to here, or I could be slow answering their questions due to my disability.

I have found internship programme which last upto eight weeks and there crazy amount of fee I have to pay. Has anyone come across City internship? I remember many years ago there was something similar and I have been unfortunate before. I do not wish to fall into the same trap again.

If you or you know someone who took this programme what did you get out of it?

Here's the link:

http://city-internships.com/

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You should never need to pay for to do a job. The idea of getting a job is that they pay you. End of.

With regard to you and your job applications. Given that companies are looking for experience I strongly suggest that you spend your spare time developing some software / websites that you can use as a portfolio of work to show off your skills. Someone with a 1st degree isn't half as desirable as someone who writes games / websites in their spare time.

Finally, with your interviews, you are right that you should not lie. But not telling the whole story is perfectly acceptable. So when someone asks you about your worst traits, don't say "I'm slow to pick up on ideas", say "I get annoyed when other people don't pull their weight" or something similar. Being honest is a good thing to be, but sometimes you have to sell yourself, which like any sales job involves pointing out all the good stuff whilst neglecting to show the negative stuff.

Good luck and avoid jobs that require you to pay them.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.