Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm a UK student in year 12,
    My dream is to join Oxbridge,
    -do you know If I have better chance to be selected with 4 A2 or it doesn't make a difference with 3 ?
    -do you know if GCSEs are very important ? Because I'm french so last year I tried the best I could but I only got 1 A* in french ( obviously ) 2 A and 4 B so I don't know if it's too late
    or note for me 😕
    Thank you for you answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cola99)
    Hello I'm a UK student in year 12,
    My dream is to join Oxbridge,
    -do you know If I have better chance to be selected with 4 A2 or it doesn't make a difference with 3 ?
    -do you know if GCSEs are very important ? Because I'm french so last year I tried the best I could but I only got 1 A* in french ( obviously ) 2 A and 4 B so I don't know if it's too late
    or note for me 😕
    Thank you for you answer
    It's better to have brilliant 3 A-levels than not so brilliant 4 A-levels.
    GCSE isn't so important for cambridge, except for medicine. But for other courses, too, if your GCSE grades weren't so great, you'll need to show good improvement at a-levels. (Esp if you only did 7 GCSEs)

(Is it because you came to U.K. just before GCSE and not very good at English the reason your grades weren't too good? If that's so, your school can submit an extenuating circumstance form to Cambridge and they will take it into account when assessing)

Which course you're interested in applying to?
    You should choose a college because you like their course, not because of their name.
    You choose a subject you want to study first, look at relevant courses in many universities, then choose which ones to apply to. Not the other way around.

Also, remember Oxbridge courses are very demanding, intense and often very stressful, not only because of their quality but also because of their shorter terms than other uni. It's not for everyone.

'Dreaming' about going to Oxford sounds nice. But please think and research carefully before you dream starts influencing your logic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was because I couldn't write english very well that I had those grades in my GCSEs 😕 ( but I had B in English as a second language ( not as EAL) )

I want to work in finance or management, so far my subjects are maths history economics and physics but I realised physics was too hard for me and I'm not really interested in it 😕
    Should I drop physics now and try business instead ? I was hesitating between economics and business , which one is the best for universities ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cola99)
    Yes it was because I couldn't write english very well that I had those grades in my GCSEs 😕 ( but I had B in English as a second language ( not as EAL) )

I want to work in finance or management, so far my subjects are maths history economics and physics but I realised physics was too hard for me and I'm not really interested in it 😕
    Should I drop physics now and try business instead ? I was hesitating between economics and business , which one is the best for universities ?
    Is your English better now?
    B in English as second language is quite worrying for any top university, let alone Oxbridge. Without a very good command of English, you won't be able to cope with their fast-paced and very demanding course.

If you want to do finance or business, either as a university course or as a job, Oxbridge is not necessarily the best uni to go. Somewhere like LSE or Warwick or even Bath, for business, may be better for you.
    And A-level Business is not so highly regarded by top RG unis, especially Oxbridge. If your school allows you to change to business from physics, you can try, but I suspect if it's possible at this stage...
    And if you want to read economics at Cambridge, their course is very maths-oriented, so you'll need a stellar grade in maths, preferably with further maths. A-level maths/FM is more important than A-level economics for their course.

As I said, just try not to set your heart too much on the idea of going to Oxbridg yet.
    Have a look at many universities and their courses and try to find the ones that suit you. Don't choose uni because of their name or ranking.
    Oxbridge is not for everyone nor are they be all and end all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.