Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Staying at home mean I will miss Uni experiences? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to be starting uni in September 2016, most likely at Glasgow, but I'll be staying at home because I couldn't afford to stay in uni accommodation without taking out a student loan and I'm not up for being in debt when I leave!

I was wondering if anyone currently at uni, particularly Glasgow, and stayed at home could tell me if it caused them any problems or meant they couldn't fully enjoy their uni experience. I fear I wont end up getting friendly with people in my classes and I'll end up just going to class and then home without immersing myself in university life hahah

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachwright26)
    Hi, I'm going to be starting uni in September 2016, most likely at Glasgow, but I'll be staying at home because I couldn't afford to stay in uni accommodation without taking out a student loan and I'm not up for being in debt when I leave!

I was wondering if anyone currently at uni, particularly Glasgow, and stayed at home could tell me if it caused them any problems or meant they couldn't fully enjoy their uni experience. I fear I wont end up getting friendly with people in my classes and I'll end up just going to class and then home without immersing myself in university life hahah

Any help?
    Whether you miss out really depends on what kind of uni experience you are after and how far you live from campus. If you want the typical uni experience of going clubbing, late nights watching films and going to sports or society meet ups then its easier if you are living in halls, at least in first year. Certainly for the first few weeks people tend to stick to their flatmates because they are a ready made group, after that they may branch out towards course mates or they may not- on my course 99% of people stayed firm friends with who they lived with rather than people on their course, whilst others I know made good friends on their course come January time in first year. So it could go either way. Obviously if you wanted to go clubbing then you'd need to consider if you could get home yourself, if you couldn't, where you would sleep and if parents would allow you to come back home at 3am. As far as societies/sports go, would you put in the effort to go to campus if a meet up was all you had that day, would you mind going alone when others might go in groups.

On the contrary if you find it easy to approach people on your own and then you can usually mitigate for living at home.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.