Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im a fresher and was wondering if you could join a sports club at this fairly late stage ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueballoon123)
    Im a fresher and was wondering if you could join a sports club at this fairly late stage ??
    Yep you can. Technically they are all open for new members at any point throughout the year. Some will still charge you the full fee but some will give you a reduced membership price at this stage.

The only one that I can think of off the top of my head that would be tricky to join is Archery because there is a six week beginners course that everybody has to go through first, and that's finished now.

What sport were you interested in joining?

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking about joining rowing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueballoon123)
    i was thinking about joining rowing
    Yes they will let you join, however if you have no prior experience then it could be difficult as by now their novices will be fairly competent and so you'd be having to play catchup.

The other thing I would say is that if you're not already at a good level of fitness then it's probably not the best idea. While they don't expect everybody to be super fit at the start, by now all of their novice rowers are expected to have reached a good level of fitness because as a club even the novices will be training 5 days a week and be expected to get themselves in the gym at least 3 times a week outside of rowing.

So honestly I'd say that if you've never rowed before, or if you're not really very fit, then it's probably best to wait until your second year, although if you really want to join then it's still worth at least getting in contact with them to ask about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.