Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Choosing the best masters program for my situation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, and many thanks for anyone who takes the time to answer.

I'm looking to apply for a masters in the area of accounting/finance or management, with the aim of transitioning into management consulting. I have a 4 year honours degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Auckland with a B average, and 2 years of experience in a London design consultancy.

I want to apply for University's with a brand that will ensure an adequate return on my (substantial!) investment, however I know I need to be realistic about my past grades.

Could anyone please recommend:
    - A London based service that can offer me professional advice for choosing appropriate courses and preparing applications.
    - Universities/courses that I may have a shot at, including both the lower and upper echelons of universities I should be applying to.
    (I do apologize for the lack of specifics in this post but general advice would still be absolutely invaluable to me!)

Thanks again,
    Rob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob2244)
    I want to apply for University's with a brand

Firstly, UK Universities are not brands. You don't buy one like its a tub of ice-cream or a designer suit. You carefully research your options and choose a course appropriate to your needs, interests and budget.

Secondly, the word is 'Universities'. It is not a possessive noun and does not require an apostrophe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Firstly, UK Universities are not brands. You don't buy one like its a tub of ice-cream or a designer suit. You carefully research your options and choose a course appropriate to your needs, interests and budget.

Secondly, the word is 'Universities'. It is not a possessive noun and does not require an apostrophe.
    Thank you for your supportive comment. I would note that it is naive to think that when investing £20,000+ the brand is not important. I have talked to many people in the world of finance/consulting and the overwhelming consensus it that you will learn on the job with or without a relevant degree, but the "brand" is what gets you in the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob2244)
    I have talked to many people in the world of finance/consulting and the overwhelming consensus it that you will learn on the job with or without a relevant degree, but the "brand" is what gets you in the door.
    Ask them which 'brands' they favour - if they are your potential future employers, and that is your main criterion when choosing a Masters, then their opinions count most.

(and, as an aside, the word 'brand' does sit uncomfortably in UK academia - maybe use 'reputation' instead?)

My instinct (as someone loosely involved in managerial recruitment but in a totally different field) would be to advise you to wait for a year or two, gain a bit more professional experience, and then apply for a MBA - if that fits in with your career plans.

ReputationRep:
    And btw, Deloitte have taken the lead and will now read graduate applications 'Uni blind'. Plenty of other blue chips will now follow and by the time you graduate the name of the Uni will be irrelevant.

But obviously you know everything about the UK graduate job market - because you went to Uni in NZ for 4 years and are now asking people for advice who clearly know nothing about the real world of UK postgrad education, only naff concepts like 'brands'.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.