Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's more worthy, a degree in economics or one in Computing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a-level Business Studies, Computing and Economics and I aspire to go to university. I do not want to do a business studies degree as I think it's a really weak degree in comparison to Economics or Computing.

I am doing really well in economics, after a slow start I'm now achieving some of the best results in the class(my economics class is full of B/A GCSE students).

Computing remains to be one of my if not the best subject area of mine but I feel that degree level may be a stretch too far and I see Computing to be very limited in terms of ability to think about the outside world(Economics seems to be unlimited in terms of how much depth I can go into whilst Computing is limited in that area)

I was thinking originally about going into the IT route but I have a feeling that the Business/Economics route is a lot less competitive and probably more rewarding, but that's my opinion.

I do not need a Computing degree regardless of whether I go into IT or not but at the same time I might do really well at a-level(I achieved As in all my controlled assessments and exam at GCSE).

If any of you has done either degree or have a job in that route then please leave a comment. I'm currently in year 12 but I need to decide which universities to go to by Easter 2016 and what degree I want

ReputationRep:
    If I'm correct, most economics and computing courses at university require an A Level in Mathematics. Does your school offer A Level Mathematics, and is it too late to take it?

ReputationRep:
    Try reading this - How to Choose a Subject for University : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-what-to-study

And .... Applying for Economics :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

You don't 'need to choose' by Easter 2016 - you can take a year out until you are sure you know what you want to do at University and frankly, why you want to go to Uni at all. Remember, nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    If I'm correct, most economics and computing courses at university require an A Level in Mathematics. Does your school offer A Level Mathematics, and is it too late to take it?
    Computing requires Computing OR Maths with a grade B in Maths at GCSE, Economics varies with Maths entrants but I have found plenty of decent Universities that don't require Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Try reading this - How to Choose a Subject for University : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-what-to-study

And .... Applying for Economics :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

You don't 'need to choose' by Easter 2016 - you can take a year out until you are sure you know what you want to do at University and frankly, why you want to go to Uni at all. Remember, nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
    Id rather not take a year out, we've been told by university lecturers that it's much easier to apply from your school as it makes it easier to get references etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will98765)
    Id rather not take a year out, we've been told by university lecturers that it's much easier to apply from your school as it makes it easier to get references etc.
    Your school will always write you a reference whether you apply this year or next. They want you to do well, they would never say No, and as that would be your most recent education, it will always be acceptable to a Uni.

And Unis like students who have taken a Gap Year - they are that bit more mature, better organised, and have usually done something relevant in their Gap Year.

(Who were these 'lecturers' btw...?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    (Who were these 'lecturers' btw...?).
    I'm wondering the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will98765)
    I'm doing a-level Business Studies, Computing and Economics and I aspire to go to university. I do not want to do a business studies degree as I think it's a really weak degree in comparison to Economics or Computing.

I am doing really well in economics, after a slow start I'm now achieving some of the best results in the class(my economics class is full of B/A GCSE students).

Computing remains to be one of my if not the best subject area of mine but I feel that degree level may be a stretch too far and I see Computing to be very limited in terms of ability to think about the outside world(Economics seems to be unlimited in terms of how much depth I can go into whilst Computing is limited in that area)

I was thinking originally about going into the IT route but I have a feeling that the Business/Economics route is a lot less competitive and probably more rewarding, but that's my opinion.

I do not need a Computing degree regardless of whether I go into IT or not but at the same time I might do really well at a-level(I achieved As in all my controlled assessments and exam at GCSE).

If any of you has done either degree or have a job in that route then please leave a comment. I'm currently in year 12 but I need to decide which universities to go to by Easter 2016 and what degree I want
    I would personally say a Computing degree but that's just my opinion. I say this because Computing is an extremely up and coming sector that's going to need lots of people to fill lots of jobs. As not too many people are currently taking it, I would say it would make you very sought after for competitive jobs and shows good computer skills (something most jobs require nowadays).

Good luck

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.