Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! So basically I want to leave uni and the only obstacle has been getting someone to take over my lease contract on my flat in halls. I've advertised everywhere and had no luck in finding a replacement. It's not what I want to do but I hear a lot of people just leave and don't pay the rest of the instalments, has anybody done this and what are the implications of doing so? Will this have any affect on the guarantor other than the hassle of being chased up with letters? I'd love to leave as legit as possible but without my loan there's no way I can cover the rest of my accommodation fees. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've never left without paying so can't comment through experience. In theory, if you leave and don't pay then the landlord has every right to pursue you and if necessary your guarantor - through the courts if necessary.

Who is your guarantor? I think you should at least have the courtesy to discuss this with them as they will be left having to pay for your mistake. Have you explored the possibility of moving to another course if your current one isn't what you hoped for?

ReputationRep:
    You legally have to pay your rent and if you don't then your guarantor will be pursued and then they legally have to. And being taken to court is a messy stressful and horrible experience with long term consequences. Don't do that to your guarantor that is such a **** move, if you can't afford it then get a job, any job you have no choice to be picky. Clean toilets to pay the rent, your mistake not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ercolaholic)
    I've never left without paying so can't comment through experience. In theory, if you leave and don't pay then the landlord has every right to pursue you and if necessary your guarantor - through the courts if necessary.

Who is your guarantor? I think you should at least have the courtesy to discuss this with them as they will be left having to pay for your mistake. Have you explored the possibility of moving to another course if your current one isn't what you hoped for?
    Yeah my guarantor is my mum and she's been trying to help me, what were seeing about doing is possibly waiting until I get the second party of my loan in January and using that to pay off the majority of the contract. I've looked into different courses but I'm not sure what I should do and a year out is probably the best move for me so I can find somewhere I definitely want to be and a course I'm sure I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    most places WILL chase you and pursue you and your garantor for the money, they will take it to court if necessary

why do people think they can sign contracts and then just change their mind? you agreed to pay them X amount so pay them

ReputationRep:
    If you are taking a year out, you could get a job and negotiate a payment plan with your landlord. They may agree to spread the payments over a number of months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukeblow)
    Yeah my guarantor is my mum and she's been trying to help me, what were seeing about doing is possibly waiting until I get the second party of my loan in January and using that to pay off the majority of the contract. I've looked into different courses but I'm not sure what I should do and a year out is probably the best move for me so I can find somewhere I definitely want to be and a course I'm sure I want to do.
    problem with doing that is that student finance will request at least some of the money back if you drop out before easter

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.