Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hypocritical views of business? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    From the British Chambers of Commerce;

http://www.britishchambers.org.uk/pr...-says-bcc.html

One key point in particular;[*]More than three quarters of firms (76%) believe a lack of work experience is the reason young people are unprepared for work.[*]However,[*]More than half of businesses (52%) say they don’t offer work experience placements.
    And [*]Just over one third of businesses (39%) said they offer apprenticeships.[*]So, it is hypocritical for employers to say that young people don't have work experience so they can't hire them yet also offer no way themselves to gain said experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    From the British Chambers of Commerce;

http://www.britishchambers.org.uk/pr...-says-bcc.html

One key point in particular;[*]More than three quarters of firms (76%) believe a lack of work experience is the reason young people are unprepared for work.[*]However,[*]More than half of businesses (52%) say they don’t offer work experience placements.
    And [*]Just over one third of businesses (39%) said they offer apprenticeships.[*]So, it is hypocritical for employers to say that young people don't have work experience so they can't hire them yet also offer no way themselves to gain said experience?
    So they want young people to have more experience, but they then go on to say no work experience for these people. Absolute logic , That defies common sense. I would have thought young people would be given part time employment as the minimum wage is less then people who are experienced as they are more likely to be 20+, meaning it is less of an expense. Despite being on one i think apprenticeships are quite poor based on pay, but saying that I work in a labour controlled council so that can be expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    So they want young people to have more experience, but they then go on to say no work experience for these people. Absolute logic , That defies common sense. I would have thought young people would be given part time employment as the minimum wage is less then people who are experienced as they are more likely to be 20+, meaning it is less of an expense. Despite being on one i think apprenticeships are quite poor based on pay, but saying that I work in a labour controlled council so that can be expected.
    Perhaps they know that with open borders they can simply recruit more experienced people forever? After all, if you can get what you want right away what incentive is there to develop a young person?

For a country it is a problem as you end up with a lot of young people (future taxpayers) on low wage/no wages. These future taxpayers will be in low wage jobs so not produce much in taxes. Good luck funding an NHS, pensions etc of the tax base of these people.

I personally think the UK really needs to invest more in the future. Not just young people but R&D for example-the UK spends so little compared to others in this area also. If it doesn't do it then sooner or later it will come back to haunt the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Perhaps they know that with open borders they can simply recruit more experienced people forever? After all, if you can get what you want right away what incentive is there to develop a young person?

For a country it is a problem as you end up with a lot of young people (future taxpayers) on low wage/no wages. These future taxpayers will be in low wage jobs so not produce much in taxes. Good luck funding an NHS, pensions etc of the tax base of these people.

I personally think the UK really needs to invest more in the future. Not just young people but R&D for example-the UK spends so little compared to others in this area also. If it doesn't do it then sooner or later it will come back to haunt the country.
    It does not help when the minimum wage is too low. The living wage will not have too much of an impact, Why? companies will just inflate prices. A lot of young people have no choice when the choice is apprenticeship or dole. Wages are too small for apprenticeships for them to care

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.