The Student Room Group

Anyone else hate living in Britain?

I don't want to sound anti UK, my parents are very traditional and I respect them

I definitely like some aspects of our culture, but having done a lot of travelling I find that people from most other countries tend to be so much more open and friendly than Brits. I was unhappy for most of my childhood having grown up in a very "middle England" area of London where there were mostly people who were white like we were and not even diverse Brits. I am in my 20s now and have lived and worked around the country, North Midlands and South, and still don't like it.

We are often really negative and small minded and moany in this country. I hate reading things like the Guardian or the Telegraph now because it's always navel gazing depressing articles. We have a **** attitude towards success compared to countries like America or China. We are too history focused, I have every respect for traditions like the monarchy but its too much. Also, I am not London centred but outside London a lot of our major cities just don't compare to others IMO. And even London these days is largely a playground for the rich

Yes I am thinking of moving before people suggest it, however am I being too negative (ironically?)

Scroll to see replies

I don't know, I mean if you don't like England it's not that big a deal - everyone feels at home in different countries. Personally I love England. (I hate Birmingham because of how long I've been here, but I love England) Sure, there are parts of it I hate, like the fact we have a government which doesn't care about the wellbeing of most of its people, I hate the weather, and many accents, but sometimes when I think about it in the grand scheme of things, this country is my home.

I don't think you're being too negative, it's just not your cup of tea
Reply 2
I recently stopped enjoying my time here, tho it could be cos of health issues, every little quirk is magnified to annoy me
Reply 3
Original post by pizzad0gs
I don't know, I mean if you don't like England it's not that big a deal - everyone feels at home in different countries. Personally I love England. (I hate Birmingham because of how long I've been here, but I love England) Sure, there are parts of it I hate, like the fact we have a government which doesn't care about the wellbeing of most of its people, I hate the weather, and many accents, but sometimes when I think about it in the grand scheme of things, this country is my home.

I don't think you're being too negative, it's just not your cup of tea

I think most people think their government is like that. The government in the UK is particularly bad though, we never do anything remotely "radical" like Obamacare

I actually like UK weather. It's just the moany people. Maybe being a Londoner and having very left wing parents who are the stereotypical British snob does not help
at the risk of sounding too British, I hate living here because of the **** weather
Reply 5
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
I think most people think their government is like that. The government in the UK is particularly bad though, we never do anything remotely "radical" like Obamacare

I actually like UK weather. It's just the moany people. Maybe being a Londoner and having very left wing parents who are the stereotypical British snob does not help

what other parts of the UK do u like? :smile:
Am I the only person here who actually loves living in Britain?
I feel the same way, I have nothing to hate about England as such, I just have no love for it
Reply 8
Original post by MJlover
I recently stopped enjoying my time here, tho it could be cos of health issues, every little quirk is magnified to annoy me

what other parts of the UK do u like?

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I liked Oxford (lived there) because of the intellectual atmosphere. Exeter was good too but again cliquey people really got on my nerves. Scotland had awesome scenery and the people were great but again quite negative for me especially in Glasgow where I spent a summer working.

nverjvlev
at the risk of sounding too British, I hate living here because of the **** weather

I like the weather :lol: where else have you lived? :smile:
Reply 9
Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I liked Oxford (lived there) because of the intellectual atmosphere. Exeter was good too but again cliquey people really got on my nerves. Scotland had awesome scenery and the people were great but again quite negative for me especially in Glasgow where I spent a summer working.

I like the weather :lol: where else have you lived? :smile:

I live in London - Hounslow. What about you?

I like Birmingham it just felt like another country tbh, like i was in Eastern Europe for some reason ... I'd love to explore further north
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Yes. The only person.

More seriously if you could list the things you love I will pay you with poverty reps.

The Rad Prince
I feel the same way, I have nothing to hate about England as such, I just have no love for it

There's nothing I hate about the country as a whole (though I find a lot of our architecture like in Manchester depressing) except the general attitude: people are so small minded and parochial. Even our TV shows are often ****. Everything is UK focused and we are such a small negative country and obsessed with our past. It annoys me

I spent a whole summer working in Spain (so not just a tourist). Felt so much better living there. Partly the people
Reply 11
Move out
TSR is student focused. But yes the American equivalent is College Confidential and the people are different! I have been lurking here for a while

MJlover
I live in London - Hounslow. What about you?

I like Birmingham it just felt like another country tbh, like i was in Eastern Europe for some reason ... I'd love to explore further north

My parents live in Islington these days but I live in York. It's pretty :smile:

Where did you go in Birmingham? I find it OK

The Lake District is nice. But nobody young really lives in those areas :frown:

There's nothing I hate about the country as a whole (though I find a lot of our architecture like in Manchester depressing) except the general attitude: people are so small minded and parochial. Even our TV shows are often ****. Everything is UK focused and we are such a small negative country and obsessed with our past. It annoys me

I spent a whole summer working in Spain (so not just a tourist). Felt so much better living there. Partly the people

I think you are first person I have spoken with who feels the same way, if you speak with White ethnic Brits who are middle to upper middle class, it feels like you've walked into a Church of England parish tea morning. It's not unbearable, but it's sad and just kinda lame.
TSR is student focused. But yes the American equivalent is College Confidential and the people are different! I have been lurking here for a while

My parents live in Islington these days but I live in York. It's pretty :smile:

Where did you go in Birmingham? I find it OK

The Lake District is nice. But nobody young really lives in those areas :frown:

I'm not sure of the area tbh, my friend drove me there, and i like the sound of hiking in lake district :smile:
Yes I thought I was the only one.I hate London so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Rad Prince
I think you are first person I have spoken with who feels the same way, if you speak with White ethnic Brits who are middle to upper middle class, it feels like you've walked into a Church of England parish tea morning. It's not unbearable, but it's sad and just kinda lame.

Same here I don't know anyone IRL who thinks like this :colondollar:

I was raised in London which is actually quite multicultural. But even among non white people who are middle class and of a certain background, if you go to a fairly well off place like Islington, everyone holds certain views and watches certain TV shows and is quite judgy about things like perceived class. And if you don't seem negative/British enough people see you as odd
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

No, you are not. :biggrin:
Yeah I really want to move to the Netherlands after I finish Uni. :smile:
Original post by MJlover
I'm not sure of the area tbh, my friend drove me there, and i like the sound of hiking in lake district :smile:

You should go it is very good :smile:

People were really friendly in some of the villages I would happily have moved to a city in the area. But even in Northern cities people are not as friendly as they are in foreign countries

@maggie43 where in London are you from and why? :smile:

Latest