The Student Room Group

RSM OSCE finals

Hey all,

Has anyone attended the Royal Society of Medicine OSCE finals practical event for final year medical students before? It's the one where you do different OSCE stations just like a real OSCE exam.

I was wondering if anyone could share the experience about this, if you found it helpful for preparing for your OSCE finals? I'm thinking about booking it, but it does cost a lot so I want to make sure it's definitely worth it.

Thanks all, any reply would be really helpful!!!
£80/105 is loads. Get a group of mates together and do it for free. You can find OSCE marksheets etc online. You'd probably feel less nervous critiquing your friends too :yes:
I actually did go to this course, and although it isn't cheap I found it incredibly helpful and very well ran. When I did it you had small group teaching with personalised feedback on all common OSCE stations with registrars and consultants who actually mark OSCEs, and that is different from just practicing with friends.

I'm normally very anti paying for additional courses (I think that there are a lot of opportunistic courses eg Dr Clarke cashing in on the anxiety of medical students), but if you can and would like to shell out on one finals course this would actually be my pick.
Reply 3
Thanks so much for the reply! It's sounds really quite worth it. Do you get to take home any mark schemes then or any helpful resources/materials that are useful for revision?

Also, this is probably obvious but I'm right in saying the event is like a real exam- go from station to station doing the task under timed conditions?

Thanks!
You do get mark schemes to take home, which are pretty useful

Of what I remember, its not quite like an exam in the sense that its a lot less stressful. They split you into small groups, and you go from station to station, there's a demonstration of the perfect performance and then (depending on the station) you take turns to be the patient or the candidate, and somebody marks you and then theres a quick feedback of things that you did well/less well/forgot. You won't get to be the candidate for every station but its still pretty good revision, and its interesting and useful to see other people do the stations as it lets you pick up a few slick moves that they do, and feel reassured that lots of people are a little hesitant and mess stuff up occassionally (not just you)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending