The Student Room Group

Alevel worries (class size)

Scroll to see replies

LOL, does everyone on this thread go to a private/grammar school or was my school worse than the average state comprehensive? :lol:

I suppose it might have been my subject choices (sciences and mathematics) but I don't think I ever had an A Level class with fewer than 20 people in it (except perhaps mathematics in my final year -- a lot of people dropped like flies after AS :frown:).
Reply 21
Original post by Hydeman
LOL, does everyone on this thread go to a private/grammar school or was my school worse than the average state comprehensive? :lol:

I suppose it might have been my subject choices (sciences and mathematics) but I don't think I ever had an A Level class with fewer than 20 people in it (except perhaps mathematics in my final year -- a lot of people dropped like flies after AS :frown:).

I go to an average state school. My largest class size atm is 13, the smallest is 8.
Original post by hw1221
I go to an average state school. My largest class size atm is 13, the smallest is 8.

Which subjects do you do? I'm starting to think it might just have been the case that I took very popular subjects. :dontknow:
including me, there's only 4 people in my further maths class and 3 people in my statistics class
Reply 24
In my stats class i have 7 people
In my mechanics class i have 16 people
In my maths & further maths i have 8 people
In physics i have 12 people soo its not the worst tbh
I think there is a correlation between class size and results, the smaller the class size the better the results tend to be since the teacher's expertise is more concentrated at specific students and the students can receive better feedback.
3 in my Geog class, you end up being really close to them
There's five people (including me) in two of my A levels. Last year in AS German there was only two people there.
In one class of mine there's about 4 people altogether. The highest number is about 6-7.
Reply 29
Original post by Hydeman
Which subjects do you do? I'm starting to think it might just have been the case that I took very popular subjects. :dontknow:

Biology, Chemistry, politics and business.
Here's what I know.
French 2,
Further maths 2,
Chemistry 8,
Physics 13 (split 9:4)
Biology 9 and a few in the other class.
Small classes are great though!
Original post by hw1221
Hi. Just curious to see the smallest class sizes people are in and in what subjects. What is it like being in very small class sizes. This worries me because im worried that I may end up on my own in a class.Thanks 😀😀😀

Smallest class is 8 for chem and my biggest has like 40 because they merged the class for one unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ahmed766
I think there is a correlation between class size and results, the smaller the class size the better the results tend to be since the teacher's expertise is more concentrated at specific students and the students can receive better feedback.

Thats very true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hw1221
Biology, Chemistry, politics and business.

The first two I have in common with you. Biology was very oversubscribed in my school because it was seen as the easiest science the science of choice for both people who wanted to study mainly sciences and people who wanted to take other subjects but were worried that they'd be seen as a soft set unless they took 'a science.' Accordingly, there were three biology classes in year 12 (fairly large ones), which then went down to two classes in year 13 because of the number of people who dropped it. Chemistry was similar but the effect was somewhat lessened by its reputation as a harder science. :lol:
Small classes are great!
Reply 35
Original post by Hydeman
The first two I have in common with you. Biology was very oversubscribed in my school because it was seen as the easiest science the science of choice for both people who wanted to study mainly sciences and people who wanted to take other subjects but were worried that they'd be seen as a soft set unless they took 'a science.' Accordingly, there were three biology classes in year 12 (fairly large ones), which then went down to two classes in year 13 because of the number of people who dropped it. Chemistry was similar but the effect was somewhat lessened by its reputation as a harder science. :lol:

Do you think chemistry is that much harder than biology?
Original post by hw1221
Do you think chemistry is that much harder than biology?

Not that much harder. My opinion might not be representative because I took all the sciences and mathematics so I'm a pretty science-y guy anyway. But generally, yes, I found biology easier because a good percentage of it was simple factual recall, whereas chemistry presented some nasty questions in the exams... xD

In retrospect though, I don't think chemistry deserves its reputation as the hardest science -- it's easy enough if you do your homework. :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Hydeman
Not that much harder. My opinion might not be representative because I took all the sciences and mathematics so I'm a pretty science-y guy anyway. But generally, yes, I found biology easier because a good percentage of it was simple factual recall,

whereas chemistry presented some nasty questions in the exams... xD

In retrospect though, I don't think chemistry deserves its reputation as the hardest science -- it's easy enough if you do your homework. :smile:

Until you get to redox on the AS... 😨😨😨😨
Original post by hw1221
Until you get to redox on the AS... 😨😨😨😨

It may be that other exam boards have harder questions on redox but most of the stuff on redox in WJEC exams is fairly straightforward. The typical question would be something like, 'show, using oxidation states, that the following is not a redox reaction.' If you know your oxidation states, that's a couple of easy marks in the bag. :smile:
Original post by Buxtonwater
In my history class there are 5 people, 6 in politics and I have one-to-one tuition in economics, small class sizes are fine.

Sounds awesome

Quick Reply

Latest